references--signed & scanned versus unsigned digital doc

teacherleah

references--signed & scanned versus unsigned digital doc

Post by teacherleah »

When asking my supervisors for references (to upload with my resume when applying directly to schools), I requested a word document. Therefore, the references are not physically signed.

One supervisor sent me a scanned and signed reference assuming that is what I needed.

Does it make a difference?

What about at job fairs? Should they be physically signed?

I assumed that since my supervisors would likely be contacted anyway, a signature was not necessary.

Please help.
PsyGuy

Advice

Post by PsyGuy »

You should get physically signed letters on school/company/organization letterhead. Then scan them yourself (The photo copiers at Kinkos will scan to a USB flash drive).

Letters of reference are not that important at job fairs (such as ISS/Search), as recruiters will depend and prefer your confidential reference reports as part of your candidate profile. Have them available on either a flashdrive, or online in case you are asked to email them, or if necessary print out a copy at the fair.
PsyGuy

Advice

Post by PsyGuy »

You should get physically signed letters on school/company/organization letterhead. Then scan them yourself (The photo copiers at Kinkos will scan to a USB flash drive).

Letters of reference are not that important at job fairs (such as ISS/Search), as recruiters will depend and prefer your confidential reference reports as part of your candidate profile. Have them available on either a flashdrive, or online in case you are asked to email them, or if necessary print out a copy at the fair.