Talk up the Middle East!

Westeach

Re: Talk up the Middle East!

Post by Westeach »

Does anyone know what countries will allow a person with Hep C to work in their countries? doesnt just have to be in the Middle East...
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Stuck it out for many years, but I won't talk up the ME.
There are many advantages to living there, not least the money. However, the biggest kicker for me is this: If my kids ever adopted the attitude of many of the kids I teach, they'd be ruined for life.
LUWahoo

Re:

Post by LUWahoo »

Teachermom wrote:
> I lived in Jordan and loved it there. Lots to do if you're interested in
> history: Crusader castles, Roman ruins, and of course Petra, where Indiana
> Jones was filmed.
>
> If you're an outdoors person, there's Wadi Rum for hiking and the Red Sea
> for diving.

Wow.. looking at Wadi Rum made me have to change my pants, Jordan sounds amazing for someone with a love of history
ShakHak

Post by ShakHak »

Depending on which ME country you're in: great beaches; lots of Westernization; if you love heat, you're in for a treat!; good food with plenty of international options; easy travel access other countries that you may be interested in and lots of expats from different parts of the world.

Enjoy!
ShakHak https://coursecraft.net/courses/z9Pk8
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

There are nicer beaches in many parts of the world that do not have the challenges of working in the ME. Westernization is more elusive, as your going to find recognizable westernization in cities like Doha and Abu Dhabi, which diminishes in lessor developed locations. There are international food options but they are often expensive. I find the local culinary cuisine uninspired, consisting of flat bread and grilled skewers of meat. International travel is not very easy or convenient, places like the kingdom require exit visa, and your school may very well (despite the law) hold your passport. Travel is far easier in other more desirable regions. The ME has few neighbors that are typical travel destinations for many ITs.

The only reason to go to the ME is the money, you have to be a mercenary and focused on that factor to be content in the ME.
sitka

Post by sitka »

Things I like about living in the ME:

*The weather. Winter is pleasant, but I also enjoy the scorching hot temperatures of summer (especially while lying beside the swimming pool).

*Housing. We are in a brand new apartment complex with several pools, several gyms and lots of fitness classes.

*Language. Everything is in English (which is a nice change from China).

*The expat sport scene. I play in two ice hockey leagues. There are also rugby, football and softball leagues that are all pretty well established.

*Luxury items are relatively cheap compared to other places. We splurge on a really nice restaurant once a month or so and it is significantly cheaper than it is back home.

*Money.

Things that I don't like:

*The treatment of imported labour (of the Indian and Filipino variety).

*Dealing with locals (which I rarely have to do)

*The ratio of single women to single men. If I wasn't married, it would be a pretty big downer.

Honestly, my quality of life is pretty good. On weekdays I usually get home at around 4. I'll usually go to the gym if I'm not playing hockey, and then my wife and I will cook a nice dinner (we barbecue on our patio a lot). Our neighbors come by quite a bit. On weekends we might go out for dinner or a drink. We go camping about once a month. We bought a cheap jeep and have been doing a bunch of exploring in the desert.

I teach wonderful kids, with a pretty standard course load, and great opportunities.

However, I think this varies quite a bit depending on where you are. My (personal) quality of life index in the ME goes like this:

UAE (Abu Dhabi/Dubai)/Israel
Oman/Jordan
Qatar (Doha)
Saudi Arabia/Egypt/Kuwait
Lebanon/Yemen/Iraq/Syria

There range between top and bottom is pretty huge.
MizMorton

Post by MizMorton »

Thanks so much for the excellent information, sitka! We've had one interview with a school in Egypt, which I thought went really well, so I'm currently combing the internet for anything positive. 99% of what I've read is "dirty, noisy, dirty." Surely there has to be something else-- I've watched all the YouTube videos from the neighborhood we'd likely be living in, and got a lot more out of them. I gather your post wasn't about Egypt, but again, I'm grasping. Also, trying to just break in to IE and wondering if we should take what we're offered or wait another year for something better.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@MizMorton

A safety school is low hanging fruit. There is nothing that says you have to stop looking. Pulling a runner from a third tier school in the ME isnt really going to hurt you, admins/recruiters know the score. Will it help you, no, will it hurt you, not likely. Smart people dont voluntarily suffer, they make corrections and make their situation better.
sitka

Post by sitka »

You'd want to consider two things: the school and the location.

School

Is the school primarily international students, or primarily domestic? If it is primarily international students, odds are good that will be (relatively) well-run. If it caters primarily to Egyptian students, it needs to help your resume so you can step up at your next posting. This depends a lot on your existing resume (what do you need to make you more competitive - IB experience? Any experience?).

I fully believe you can make (almost) anywhere work for you (depending on your goals), but some places make it much easier than others. Are you comfortable driving in Egypt? Cairo falls on the crazier end of the spectrum in terms of traffic. The heat in the ME can make public transport almost unbearable at times (especially in the more rustic locations). Is English widely spoken (or how dedicated are you to learning Arabic?). While it is pretty common in Cairo, it isn't ubiquitous like it is in the UAE. What is the housing like? I can be pretty happy anywhere where I have a pool and a gym, but without amenities life can get pretty tough and isolating. Are you married? If not, how big is your school (will there be lots of other teachers to meet)? Are you a history nerd, or will the cultural benefits wear off after a few weeks.

These are the kinds of things I would weigh. I know people who have liked it there, and those who have absolutely hated it. You need to assess yourself as much as the place.