Return to Teaching - Now Employed in Corporate World

jtnavar

Return to Teaching - Now Employed in Corporate World

Post by jtnavar »

Hello all -

I'm fairly new to this forum, so please be gentle...

I was a teacher for 13 years, the last position I held was 2004-2005. I have taught in both large urban school districts and private schools. I am primarily a Music teacher, but am also certified in Technology Applications and have taught that as well. Both are all level certifications from the State of Texas. I also hold old certifications in Elementary Self-Contained and Info Processing Technology.

For the last 7 years I have been employed as an Instructional and Curriculum Designer - for 2.5 years in Higher Ed and the rest of the time in the Corporate environment. I am now a contractor for a large financial services company. I have expertise in designing instructional activities for both online and instructor-led training.

My one and only is going off to college next year in his father's home state, so Mom is somewhat free.

I have always been interested in teaching overseas. I may be a bit late to the game this year, but my question is - what are my chances if I have not been employed as a teacher recently?

I am also a private piano teacher and still teach, so in that respect I am still teaching.

I'm also 52 and unmarried.

Would I be a strong candidate? What about my fields - music and technology? Do I need to get certified in something else? I'm hoping that my strong curriculum design skills and online learning background would be of value.

I await your responses.

Thank you!

--JT
Kali

Post by Kali »

Do you have any other music certifications? Did you participate in Orff or Kodaly training? Music for young children? Suzuki training?

There are international schools out there that hire music teachers from time to time. I have heard and noticed that in some locations music teachers stick around for years to build up there programs so these jobs are not always easy to come by. That doesn't mean the jobs do not exist though. In the past few years I have notice that there are a lot of music teaching jobs being paired with other positions such as a part time music teacher for an entire school as well as a part time primary teacher. This might work out well for you.

Just a word of caution though, I interviewed with one school a while back that wanted a part time music teacher in one such position, however they expected the teacher to pull off three large scale productions a year which involved either all primary students or secondary students. The catch was that each year group only had a 40 minute music class once a week to pull it all together. The teacher was also required to organize after school private music lessons for students as well co-ordinate at least two music clubs per term. The teacher would also be required to teach grade one when they were not in the music classroom. The truth came out as I began corresponding with staff memebrs already employed by the school that the school was downsizing the music department but they still wanted to keep all the productions and the extra-curriculars. That correspondence really helped me make my final decision on that position.
jtnavar

Post by jtnavar »

Kali - thank you for your helpful post.

No, I am not Kodaly or Orff certified - that is something I can look into. The local college has a summer program.

I have taught an early childhood program similar to Suzuki - it was the Yamaha Education System - a very good program.

It seems as if music teachers are always called upon to do double duty, but the position you are describing sounds very full-time.

Have you taught music overseas?
PsyGuy

Advice

Post by PsyGuy »

Your success is going to depend on how you answer the following two questions:

1) Can you do everything?
2) Can you prove it?

To begin with your Technology Applications certification, isnt worth anything. To market it you either have to 1) Be capable of teaching computer science, meaning programing. 2) Me capable of teaching design technology, meaning engineering, and a lot of "shop" skills.

ISs typically dont have online/virtual teaching programs.

Your "private" tutoring music lessons experience doesnt count for anything. Thats more a hobby to recruiter.

Music teachers need to be able to teach at all levels and a variety of programs. You have to be proficient in but instrumentation as well as voice. In addition it will be expected that you will have 2-3 concerts/productions a year yourself. You will have to support any musical after school extra curricular clubs (Glee and HSM has made them very popular). In addition you will be the band and choral director (this includes exhibitions and competitions). On top of that you will be expected to contribute musical direction and assistance to the drama/theater department and their productions. You will organize any private instruction time, and be the first person contact for private lessons. You will also have to account for all instruments and music equipment, it is not uncommon for the music teacher to be held responsible for instruments, etc that can not be accounted for to students/parents. I know one teacher that received no end of year bonus or final pay check because of damaged/missing equipment. Its not a full plate, its a full buffet, and your serving up everything.

You are going to have a hard time convincing a recruiter to hire you, and wont be any schools top choice. You have just been out of the classroom entirely (not just the music room, but any classroom all together) for too long. The shelf life of a teacher is about 2 years. After being out of a classroom that long your value drops considerably.
Your second issue is going to be able to sell a school that you can meet their production and performance schedule expectations. You just dont have anything recent to show them you can do the "big" tasks. They are less concerned about the day to day classroom lessons, preparation and management, then they are with all the after school "extra" stuff.

I believe youd be a stronger academic coordinator then you would music teacher. You have recent, and relevant experience, though your short on credentials.

Lastly, is your age, at your age ITs have well established international teaching careers. Your a newbie entering a market with peers that are much younger then you.Many recruiters are going to think your a "tourist teacher" and that this is simply a way for you to fund traveling for a short period of time.
Kali

Post by Kali »

To answer your question- yes I am currently a music teacher in a school.

This school goes from primary to secondary. Before I got into school teaching I also taught private music lessons and built up my own studio/program. This helped me get the job as a music director at the school I am currently at. Along with having some Orff certification, I have various other training courses as well as a BEd.

As director of music I teach a majority of all music classes, I write or proof read report comments, I order music supplies, deal with instrument repairs and purchasing, plan 4 productions/large scale performances a year, coordinate all music clubs and activities as well as after school lessons which comes with a lot of paperwork and extra time. Since the music room is always open I am also on supervision duty in my room every break and lunch time. Most days I am at school at least two to three hours after school.

To be completely honest I am feeling more than little burnt out right now with this current job and am looking into other positions. Teaching privately was much easier and it paid WAY more than this job. That being said it could just be this school which lacks in support, input and foresight from management.

There is no harm in trying to apply to different schools, there may be positions that open up. With a bit more training you may be able to teach music overseas or you can always take the TESL route and teach English overseas.