Schools that hire new teachers....

Walter

More hokum from Dave

Post by Walter »

Not that I would wish to shift the conversation, since I don't know the school in question. (Nor does Dave, but when has that ever stopped him?) However, I really can't let pass this casual, foolish reference to the IPC pass:
"(IPC is a generic copy of a western curriculum with IB styled wrapping)."
You may just as well say that the IB PYP is a generic copy of a western curriculum, given its origins. And there is certainly no IB styled (sic) wrapping around the IPC - where does that nonsense come from?
IPC comes out of the Fieldwork stable and, at ES and now MS levels, it has at least as much credibility as the IB, so to say it is not a real curriculum is plain daft.
LWMM

Tutoring/cram school

Post by LWMM »

I find your remarks very interesting. To be honest this is a low ratio, 6:1 personal approach to schooling in Macau. The term used is an educational centre. The IPC trademark is acquired through UK rights and the logo represents the Pre School Programm that has started the centre off in English in 2009. This coordinated Program is from the USA. International Pre School Curriculum. This is not a day care!
Your history of international travels and school knowledge is great but your
view on small, cooperative schools is at a loss. I hope that your contribution has not scared off livefree as I will PM her in the future.
Compensation as follows: based on qualifications 1 year contract 40,000 USA per year with travel allowance and medical. 3,500 USA bonus with year completion. Full international medical, spousal arrangement. Housing paid on percentage average, free kids tuition. Airfare to and from home country, visa on arrival. hmmmmmm? Is this not IB?
best
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@walter

Name one tier 1 school that uses IPC???

Didnt think so...

IPC is scam, its counterfeit IB. Anyone (mostly admins) who say otherwise are scammers.

@LWMM

You can call it an "education center", but naming something doesnt change what it is. Its still immersion child care.

Licensing an insignia, logo, or other trademark is not a measure of quality. You cant buy good.

Your website describes your curriculum as "a theme that sets forth the requirements from the UK standard curriculum", however in your post you quote "This coordinated Program is from the USA". Thats to statements contradict each other. Which is it an american curriculum or a UK curriculum?
Even your own site under the MCNA tab describes your network as "learning english through drama". Stop kidding anyone your an english immersion daycare.

As for your compensation package:

1) A first time contract in China would be a two year contract not one.

2) Is the $40,000 salary the cap of your pay scale? or is that a first year teachers salary? Is that before or after taxes (25% on 40K makes it 30K, which annualized over a year thats only 2,500 a month which in Macau is ELL money.

3) If you have full world wide medical coverage why do you need a medical allowance?

4) Define what you mean by "housing paid on percentage average". Real ISs just say we give $XXX in a housing allowance or we provide housing directly in the form of an apartment. Your description sounds like HR talk for getting ripped off.

There are bad IB schools just as they their are good IB schools. IB does no dictate a specific package, and if you were really interested in "buying" your way into the Ib youd just go through the process of becoming an IB PYP candidate school.

Lastly, PMs do not function on this forum.
Walter

Dave, Dave

Post by Walter »

My compliments of the season. I do wish Santa had put a little humility in your Christmas stocking. Meanwhile, why so strident? "Scam", "scammers", "counterfeit IB" - seriously, where does this all come from? Have you ever had any experience with IPC or with Fieldwork? My guess is not, and that you're repeating stuff you've heard from the IBPYP collective.
I don't have the list of IPC schools, but I'm sure you can provide one of the hundreds and hundreds of IPC schools around the world. Then perhaps we can go through them and maybe arrive at some that meet your criteria of "Tier 1".
Perhaps the Fieldwork people can defend themselves against your silly assertions. I would just say two things:
1) Those behind Fieldwork have as strong or stronger educational credentials than any at the IB - a statement that is impossible to prove of course, but I do want to make that point.
2) My school doesn't use IPC. Nor does it use PYP or MYP. Consequently I have no vested interest in the debate. However, I have worked at schools that have used these curricula. Perhaps you can discern my view of both when I say that good schools don't need either.