DODEA License - Alternative Certification

awhit

DODEA License - Alternative Certification

Post by awhit »

Hello,

I've got a question about working for Dept. of Defense schools. I was reading this website:

http://work.chron.com/teacher-positions ... -8650.html

and I see this quote:

"Getting hired as a teacher on U.S. military bases requires you to hold a valid teaching credential and an official license or certification from one of the 50 states. If you're interested in a position in one specific state, your license should be approved by that state, or the state should have a reciprocal agreement with the state issuing your teaching license. Most states require a college degree and additional classroom experience as a student teacher. Credentialed teachers also typically have passing scores on standardized teaching exams, including the PRAXIS. The U.S. Department of Defense Education Activity issues separate licenses to educators based on state professional certifications. Teachers earning licenses based on alternative certification don't qualify for DoDEA licenses."

So if I have a valid teaching certificate in North Carolina, can I work for DoDEA? Even if I earned that through alternative certification? This looks like the answer is no, but then what should I do? I have a lot of post-bac credits in Education and years of experience, just not a teaching degree.

Also, does the DoDEA attend the UNI Iowa job fair? I don't see them listed, but I've seen other people mention them.

Thanks!

(Oh, and this question is not for PsyGuy. I've read enough to know that he's making it up as he goes).
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Short answer: Yes, your eligible assuming you have enough of the right hours. Your not required to have a degree in education.

The article is practically correct, but not technically, and so there are some clarifications. Being "qualified" for DODEA means eligible for a DODEA professional teaching license. You technically dont HAVE to have a teaching certificate to be qualified. Its just that the work required in absence of a state certification, you might as well get certified. DODEA has it set up so that service members could transition from service to the classroom. While its technically possible to be qualified without a teaching certificate, it would be unheard of presently for that to happen.

Usually the problem for ACP candidates is that they lack the 18 hours (9 if certified) of professional education. ACP programs dont typically award any kind of college credit. If you have the education hours and youve already got teaching experience (at least 1 year), required for the student teaching/internship requirment you meet the minimum academic preparation requirements.

For DODEA what counts and matters is credit hours. Typically you need 24 hours for primary and middle school and 30 hours for secondary. IF your certified in the subject area you only need 50% of those hours (so 12 and 15 respectively). So yes DODEA will accept your certification NC certification, and you would only need half the hours required in your certification area

I would apply with DODEA and let HR/HQ credentialing review your transcripts and see what they say.

DODEA attends no fairs, they use to have their own, but they havent had one for 2-3 years now