Schools near city centers/close to public transport

nkraai

Schools near city centers/close to public transport

Post by nkraai »

If I was looking for schools that were either close to city centers or located in cities with excellent public transportation, where having a car would be more or less a liability, where do people recommend? Especially cities that aren't outrageously expensive.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Quito, Ecuador. In the three years I was there I never missed having a car. Public transportation within/without the city are great, and taxis are dirt cheap. Colegio Americano provides transportation for teachers.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

SCIS Hongqiao and YCIS Gubei are both accessible by public transport in Shanghai (I'm sure there are others as well)
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Just about every major metropolitan city having a car would be a liability.
nkraai

Re: Comment

Post by nkraai »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Just about every major metropolitan city having a car would be a liability.[/quote]

Since many of the schools are outside the city center, I was just wondering how people got to their schools without cars. Sure, maybe you could live next to your school, but how about getting into the city on a daily basis? Many countries don't have the infrastructure to provide excellent public transportation or it is unsafe. Obviously, WE and much of EE does.

@PsyGuy I would not be able to get where I need to go on a daily basis here in Denver without a car. The closest light-rail is a 10 minute drive, and bus routes are not close to my home. Maybe I am missing the point of what a "major metropolitan city" is.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

In many countries, taxis are pretty cheap.
Last edited by sangster2 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Actually many countries have very good public transportation systems, most people in these countries dont own vehicles. The USA is not an example of transportation in many other countries. Major metropolitan cities are typically very dense as you get close to the center and more sparse as you get out to the suburbs and then the country. In many countries a signifigant contributing factor to the cost of rent is how close they are to a metro station.

Most places have very well developed transportation system. In rural areas this is a bus system and taxies. In major cities this is buses, rail, and taxies. Ideally you want to live within walking distance of a metro rail, and your school will also be within walking distance of one. If not you taker a bus or two. Depending on where you are Taxies are very inexpensive and you can always catch one of those if your running late, or take the whole family. At the very least there is going to be a bus stop near by for students and local staff to get to and from the school.
Usually when schools provide housing away from campus they provide a shuttle bus to and from the school.