Schools in Trinidad

yolo

Schools in Trinidad

Post by yolo »

Now that someone has asked in a previous post about 'schools near beaches', can anyone share any information about int'l schools in Trinidad (Port of Spain)?
Also, I'm a bit concerned about the high crime rate in Port of Spain, so I'd love to hear any information from teachers who have worked there.
sfbrayuk

Do they speak Spanish?

Post by sfbrayuk »

I was interested in this area as well but my primary focus is to go somewhere where the people speak Spanish. I don't think they do here.
yelsol

Post by yelsol »

I don't know much about the international schools. They don't seem to have gotten rave reviews on the review site. I did live in Trinidad about 8 years ago. I would imagine that things have changed significantly since that time although I'm not sure if they have changed for the better or for the worse.

When I was there there were definitely incidences of crime and some that were violent and very tragic. That being said, I don't think the country is inhabitable or so dangerous that it's not worth considering taking a position there. I didn't encounter any problems while there and I used public transportation and travelled pretty extensively around the country. I did however take certain precautions that I think anyone would take in a place where you don't know:
1. Don't walk around alone at night. I rarely went anywhere alone in the evening.

2. Don't get caught up in the ex-pat culture. A lot of times people will go to a country and quickly jump into an expat clique where they have very little interaction with anyone who was born in the country. I found that Trinidadians had a much better understanding of the violence in the country including extensive knowledge about which places were safe and which to avoid.

3. Avoid making yourself a target by flashing valuable items. I live in an urban area in the states and I do this at home.

I personally found Trinidad to be an exciting country and there are definitely problems with violence and crime but I think some good common sense, won't make you immune, but could minimize your chances of coming into contact with it.