Please help settle this debate...preferably in my favor

PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@bookshelfamy

Im not saying that before an interview they dont skim, maybe even read some of your bio/cover letter/teaching statements. Thats the interview, where your going to have a whole lot of time to tell them all about what a great teacher you are, and what your philosophy and strategies are. Reading those documents as part of the screening and pre selection process, does not happen.
Your a teacher so if you have 20 students in 6 classes a day write a 1 page reaction paper, you know what its like having to read 120 pages critically. Now imagine you have 500 applicants write a cover letter (one page) a Bio (1/2 a page), and a teaching philosophy (1-2 pages), youd do nothing but reading narratives and auto biographies. Thats not counting the actual resume, which needs to be ranked/scored against the other applicants, and that just for ONE vacancy.
Walter

Plus c'est la meme crappe

Post by Walter »

"The general guidelines as written earlier are 1 page for entry level, 2 pages for mid career, and 3 for administrators."

For your own sake, don't believe this.

"Recruiters and admins dont read narratives, as discussed earlier. The Bio section of your Search profile is largely wasted space."

For your own sake, don't believe this.

"Its disingenuous of Walter to suggest that any amount of literary skill can compensate for deficiencies in one of the above factors. It doesnt matter what you say if I need an IB DIP physics teacher and you've only taught middle school general science. If I want teachers with 5+ years experience, and you only have 2, nothing you say in your bio, teaching philosophy or cover letter is going to make up for that."

Dear Psyguy, judging from the times you've used "disingenuous" recently, I assume it's a word you have just discovered. I discovered it many decades ago, and I can assure you that I am not being "Insincere", "Artful" or "Deceitful" in my advice.

Nor did I ever say that "literary skill" compensates for required qualifications. You really do have a problem with reading, don't you? What I said was that I look askance at those who, in their written submissions, fail to check their work for spelling and punctuation. This is part of the first impression you are making on a recruiter, so make it a good impression.

Yelsol, I shall have read your SEARCH document carefully if you make it on my possible interview list. The bio section is important to me in helping me decide whether to interview. If I interview you, I shall want to see your own resume. If it's one page of where you worked and what you've studied and nothing else that will count against you. If you hadn't made the original interview list and try to get an interview at sign-up, the impression you make in the time you're at the desk will be crucial; so will the resume I ask you to leave with me.

You have to understand that Psyguy has never been a recruiter - except for his contested story that he attended the SEARCH Australia fair unofficially and hung around th lobby trying to "bump into" candidates. Take any of his advice with an excavatorful of salt...
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I disagree with Walter. His comment that the focus on these documents is for grammar, spelling, and use of literary convention instead of content, is simply a hoop to jump through instead of meaningful communication. In this case there is no damage though, it not going to hurt you to spend the time on creating these documents, hoops are hoops, but if there is something you need to communicate to a recruiter the resume is the place to include it.

A resume should be a s long as it needs to be but not longer. I disagree with Walter. If your a new or inexperienced teacher i would find it highly unlikely that you would require more then 1 page. If your a mid career teacher 2 pages, since your more distant experiences become shorter and less of a focus. For a veteran or administrator anything more then three pages and your not being concise and demonstrating the inability to focus.

Its disingenuous for Walter to claim that every admin is going to critically read throughly the full application materials for each and every candidate. We know where the chase is and how to cut to it. If you believe they do thats vanity appealing to ego.