Second Tier Schools

Roberto

Post by Roberto »

Directors of 2nd and definitely 3rd tier schools are limited by their BOD, the parents and most importantly...the budget. Low tuition and local hires can prove huge obstacles to best practices. To make real change , you need the right staff regardless of who the director is...
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

3rd tier, 2nd tier, 1st tier, and elite schools are all limited by their boards and have fiscal issues to contend with in the course of conducting operations. Those challenges are not excuses for the lower tier schools for offering an inferior experience. A school (and its leadership) have 100% control over what kind of school the want to be. If poor performing faculty is an issue then hire better staff. If that costs money increase your revenue, if that means charging more tuition then so be it. Blaming outside influences and factors beyond a schools control are excuses, not reasons. Great schools have started from humble beginnings.
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

Sounds like an easy answer to all our educational woes. You could go to the states (PSchGUY)and solve their issues in the inner cities I guess. There is a big difference between 5000 a yr tuition and 20 000 a year tuition. There is also a huge difference between being able to hire qualified experienced teachers and having local hires in a country that doesnt even have a post graduate degree in early childhood ed. Not to say a 3rd tier cant be a wonderful experience with the right leadership. Lord knows they need the help. Depends on what kind of teacher you are, missionary, mercenary or misfit.
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

If we must devise tiers I think mine would be the most accurate criteria and I would add PSych GUys "elite" schools. While these are not 100% they can be helpful for teachers to label schools. The level of teachers, their salaries;- benefits and types of students should weigh into this as well. There is also the issue of where it is located, whether it is a "hardship" post. Maybe another topic altogether...
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I dont think yours is the most accurate, the idea that the "best schools" are "american" (or western) schools is actually insulting. Have you ever seen a overseas japanese or korean school? Extremely well run, well compensated schools.

It is easy to say, implementation is another thing, but the ability to implement is WITHIN the schools ability to do so. They CAN be whatever kind of school they want to be.

Yes there is a difference between 5,000 and 20,000 a year in tuition, its 15,000. The school can choose to be the type of school thats worth 5,000 a year and 20,000 a year.

International schools dont typically hire locals and if a third tier school is choosing to do so, for cost savings or budget reasons thats their choice. The school chooses to do that. If there arent locals available the school can CHOOSE to look for quality teachers outside the local area.

Lets not confuse inner city PUBLIC schools that are mandated to provide an education to those it serves and a private/independent school (as most ISs are) that gets to admit who it wants to, and lets be clear the school can establish whatever admission criteria it wants too.
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

I think I may be incorrect about what an an international school is. Our exeriences are extremely different.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

I haven't been on for a few days.

When I say I am not interested in top tier schools, I am referring to the likes of JIS, ISB, WAB etc. I know it is subjective just mentioning tiers but I wasn't trying to debate which schools should be put into which category.

I just want to find a school where you are not expected to stay after school most days to run a club, coach etc. I don't want a school where you spend most of your time marking or planning, where you have very little free time.

I would of course like a school where you get paid on time, where you have some technology, doesn't have to be Macs or 1-to-1 program. Some place where it is okay to sometimes go home straight after lessons have ended, where the kids are pleasant enough though not necessarily the most motivated, they don't have to be international, where I can save some money even if it isn't loads. Get the picture?

Thanks for your comments.
Last edited by sangster2 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Comments

Post by PsyGuy »

@sangster

In general a second tier school is going to fit your description more then a top tier school. That said their are second tier schools that are very competitive and want to be a 1st tier school where the school wwant as many hours out of you as they can get. You will also find 1st tier schools that are relaxed and laid back. They dont have anything to prove and teachers do their job, and students do the work and thats it.

A couple suggestions for helping you find what you want:

Before an interview go to the schools website and see what clubs and extra curricular' they have. If their arent a lot, its not likely a big thing at that school and your less likely to be doing anything after school.

Ask how classrooms are staffed. Teachers with their own room are more likely to be expected to be in that room all day. Teachers that share a classroom and have a shared work space, are more likely to be able to cut out early.

New schools almost always have a bigger work load, they have more to do and a reputation to establish and grow.

For profit schools are far more likely to be rigid for rules and policies.

When you look at the contract how long is it and what does it over. Schools with problems are reactionary, they dont create policies until their is a problem. A contract that reads like a policy handbook is going to be very rigid, and have issues.
aridion

Post by aridion »

Sangster, like myself, would ideally like a sort of list of some of the schools that may fit into this category. Has anyone any experience of such schools? Schools that do not work the life out of you, schools that let you have a life outside school.

I don't think he/she wants to get into a debate of the tiers or what constitutes 1st, 2nd and 51st tier etc.

A decent school with decent benefits that doesn't demand you to work into an early grave.