Schools near the beach

liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

haha good one Psy, I just wish this forum had someone to take out the trash cluttering the place up.

Sangster, I'm sad to say Honduras is an extremely dangerous place, especially if you're in the drug distribution business or a weathly citizen (kidnapping is a booming business in Hondo). A few years back at the school I was at, my point guard was shot and her father killed in professional hit. For the most part travelers and foreigners living there are not targeted, but like anywhere, there are isolated incidents. I would acually go back to the North Coast, Honduras to live and visit as it's beautiful and a blast (non-stop fiesta), but the money sucks.

Most people will agree Colombia does not live up to its rep once they visit. It's an incredible place with wonderful people. It's just a place you need to visit or live to understand the perception is totally misleading.
bish180b

Post by bish180b »

so you have walked through centro in any of the main cities in the evening alone? just wondering..
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

Yep, I've seen the underbelly of Bogota. I lived in Candelaria and have walked those streets plenty of time at 4 AM. I've also spent a lot of time South of Septima and down Calle 19 about 2 miles past the Septima and have seen some pretty sketchy stuff. I look like a thug and have lived in Latin American for awhile to allow me to survive these places.

Not sure if many tourist or foreigners living in Bogota will be in these areas and have to worry about crime. I think the perception that Colombia is a horrible place is way off. I'd say its the same as any other Latin American country or big city U.S.A.

I rode my motorcycle around the country for two years and never had an issue. I feel safer in the country then I do the States, the only difference is your stuff can get jacked if you're not careful.

I even enjoyed Colombia so much I published a book on it.
Last edited by liketotravel on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Autumn

Second

Post by Autumn »

I lived in Barranquilla for 4 years and rank it on the top of my international teaching experiences. The Rosario islands off Cartagena are close, easy to get to, cheap, not touristy and beautiful. Same goes for the beaches outside of Santa Marta, such as Playa Blanca. Padi training is unbelievability inexpensive. You can get a 2 bedroom apartment, on the beach with a balcony for the weekend for under 40 bucks. I too rode my motor bike between cities, felt totally safe (as a female), even hiking in FARC territory to the lost city. Your money can go far and it's mostly off the beaten path.
Not sure about the dead body bit on this thread though...
KellyGuy

Post by KellyGuy »

I teach at a school in Salvador, Bahia, Brazil, and I live about 3 blocks from the beach. Granted it is a pretty crappy beach, but there are good beaches within a few km, easily accessible by bicycle. I hope to live in a far better neighborhood next year, where I will be a couple of blocks from a fairly decent surfing beach. Many teachers at my school live in the Barra neighborhood of Salvador, which is considered a top-notch beach, with good snorkeling opportunities.
cricket

Post by cricket »

Oman has great beaches! There are beaches right in Muscat and there are beautiful beaches you can camp on as close as an hour away.