Bucharest

sangster2

Bucharest

Post by sangster2 »

Any information on the American International School of Bucharest?
Eric

Post by Eric »

While I don't know anyone personally who has worked there, I have only ever heard good things about the school in recent years.

I did visit the school about 5 years ago when I attended a workshop there. As I recall, it's a really big, fairly new campus but located quite far outside the city center. Taking a taxi into the center of the city took between 30-40 minutes. I believe there is a high proportion of wealthy Romanian students who attend the school.

Bucharest itself was, errr, interesting. Nutty traffic, a wide variety of interesting architecture downtown. Seems like a place someone would either love or hate. Romania had just, or was just about to join the EU when I was there so there seemed to be loads of building/construction and general improvement projects going on at the time.
Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

I worked at a different school in Bucharest last year, and I have also heard good things about AISB. It is located outside of the city center, so you will need to take a bus or taxi to get into the city center. I know that their benefits package is very good. Bucharest itself is a great city. That being said, some people hate it. I left Romania last summer, and yes, the traffic can be crazy, but I enjoyed the craziness of the city. A lot of construction is still going on in the city center. They are continuing to improve the old center, which is where a lot of bars and clubs are.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I was going to accept a position with ISB at one point until I found out about their dress code. Its pretty strict and formal for teachers.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
aisha

Post by aisha »

What do you mean PsyGuy?
PsyGuy

Correcction

Post by PsyGuy »

I was actually referring to ISB, not AISB. Anyway the dress code at ISB is shirt/tie/jacket for men, and blouse, long skirt/suit pants for women. Its pretty much interview wear.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

You didn't take a job at ISB because of the dress code? I wouldn't go there because you have to work too hard and I now know that is not for me.

ISB is one of the few schools that pays well enough and are professional enough for them to demand that sort of dress code. I am not surprised that they do.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Yeah, the dress code was the deciding factor (though not the only factor).
CASDreamer

Post by CASDreamer »

Former colleague has been there a while and told me that the package is good, admin is mediocre, and spoiled rich Romanian kids are a major irritation for some teachers. She says she was told that there's a cap on local, but almost half of the kids in middle and high school are Romanian. The depreciation in the euro against the US dollar has made a dent in her savings but she likes her colleagues and very reasonable workload so she's stayed.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

Thanks for the information.
vandsmith

Re: Bucharest

Post by vandsmith »

Hey,
Any newer, up to date on AISB?
Seems to be an alright school and I'm considering an offer from them now...
v.
shadowjack

Re: Bucharest

Post by shadowjack »

vandsmith, have friends there from previous schools. They are very happy and staying. Have heard nothing that rings any alarm bells from any of them.