what does it mean??

gus

Post by gus »

I realize this can be very frustrating and having been on both sides of things, the hiring process can also be very complex and time consuming. My goal is to always follow up with people that I have been in contact with so they have closure but it is difficult and time zones, different weekends, etc. also play a factor in that. I never get offended when someone contacts me asking for info if I haven't been in touch.
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

So they have contacted my husbands references which is great!

We do not have our passports at the moment so if we need them for January, we will need to know soon! (Cost is the reason we are waiting)
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

So we have been offered the job. We have not accepted or declined as they are giving us time to think about it.

HR sent us the info on Visas. The semester starts January 7th and the total time on Visas tak 4-6 weeks. Can they give a "buisness" visa temporarily for work? What do you think can be done?

Yes I have emailed HR but since they are a day ahead, I am just wondering if any of you can provide any info quicker.
Glerky

Post by Glerky »

What country? It really is different depending on the country. Many countries I have worked have let me in on a visit visa while they waited for the work visa. In other places it was done weeks before I arrived.
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

It is for South Korea. I know in order to get your working visa you need to not be in the country to receive it.
Glerky

Post by Glerky »

If they are desperate and can't get it done on time they will fly you to the nearest country for a day or two and then have you get the visa done then fly you back.

If it is a top school (like SFS) they will have a connection to get it done for you a little more quickly if need be.

Congrats on the offer.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

You need to apply for your passports now. With the holidays and office closings you may not have them in time if you use the traditional mail service, even expedited. You will need to make a reservation at one of the National Passport Regional Offices for Same Day Service or use an agency.

You can get a work visa very quickly actually. As long as you have the paperwork, there are companies that can secure you a work visa in 24-72 hours. Assuming the school will pay the fees, it is expensive. You can even do the passport and visa in the same order. You FEDEX them your documents, they make the appointment, go to the Passport center, and get your passport, then they go down the street to the embassy and apply for your visa. When its done they pick it up and FEDEX it back to you.

The other option is you can enter on a business or tourist visa, and typically fly to Japan from S.K. for a few days and get your visa there.
hmmmm

Post by hmmmm »

The visa process for South Korea is a painful one in that you have to play the wating game for the FBI background check if you are coming from the States. I know from experience that you will have to wait 6 weeks at a minimum for the process to be completed but 8 weeks is more typical.

Currently it is snowing here in SoKo!
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

We have already applied for our passports. We have to get our diplomas stamped w/ some official stamp, wait for our passports then FEDEX them to Korea and wait for the number for the visa.

After we have that number we can go to the consulate at get it same day. We do not need the FBI background check since we are submitting our teaching certs.

Does anyone know about the Korean consulate in LA? Can you make an appointment or is it a walk in service? Also, how crowded would it be to get this done? A family member told me a story of a friend waiting 8 hrs. to get her visa, although I don't think it was at the Korean consulate.

After we have this they will fly us out, which may be a week after the start date of the new semester.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

You can not make an appointment, its walk in service. You get your visa the next day USUALLY. If you get in very early in the morning you may get it the same day, but you will wait all day. You can also mail in the application, and your passports and with FEDEX get them back in three days.
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

Do you know if all parties must be there for the Visas? (my 3 yr old?)
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Your starting to push the scope of my expertise. Normally no, if you have an authorization on behalf of another . you can apply for a visa on their behalf. However because you have a 3 year old both the birth mother and birth father must appear with a copy of the birth certificate indicating your both the legal custodial parents. You dont have to bring the child in this case, and you may or may not be able to use a notarized letter authorizing the childs application on the non attending spouses behalf. This is really a grey area, and really depends on which consular officer you talk with.