Job Fair

newcounsel

Job Fair

Post by newcounsel »

Hello

I am attending the Cambridge fair in 2013 and have a couple of questions in order to prepare me for it .

1. Is there any nearby hotel that are cheaper than Hyatt?
2. Do people really need to stay Thur -Sun ( what is the avg )
3. What can I do to stand out at the fair ( counselor position)

I guess I am trying to be cost efficient and save as much money I can. If on average people find jobs within two days. I would like come back home early.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Based on my experience it would be a disservice not to be prepared to spend the entire fair in Cambridge. Fairs can be funny things and you never know what is going to happen. You might be offered a position the first morning or the last afternoon, you just never know.

I understand wanting to be economical but you don't want to shortchange yourself. (no pun intended)
Glerky

Post by Glerky »

Use google maps for the hotel. I prefer to stay at the actual hotel. It costs more but damn it is more convenient and easier for people to contact you and if you have an hour off I like to go to my room and get out of the rat race.

Stay for the entire thing. Seriously. You paid to be there. You never know what is going to happen. I have been offered jobs before fairs have begun and on the last day. You really never know. If you do intend to leave early be prepared to tell recruiters that. I would also come up with a better excuse then being economical.

To impress I would dress well. Be polite to everyone because you never know who will help you out in the end. The truth is for a counselor your options will be limited to a select number of schools needing to fill that position. You'll know that well in advance. If you are interested in them send your stuff early and express that interest. Have them contacting you. Be yourself... unless you're weird, odd or a douche... then be someone cool. Be Ferris Bueller.
newcounsel

Post by newcounsel »

Thank you for the feedback. I will stay the entire fair I just wanted to make sure that it is neccasary.
I hope that I am able to land a counselor position before or at the fair
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

I like to stay at the hosting hotel but I get a roommate to cut the costs. That's worked out really well for me on two occasions. It gave me another person to talk things out with and I've stayed in touch with both of them. My Search associate helped pair me with someone for Cambridge. I had already booked a room knowing that they sell out early.
newcounsel

Post by newcounsel »

Thank you DCgirl for that piece advice I will see if I am able to be match with a roomate
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I would recommend staying at the hosting hotel. A lot of "stuff" (hiring) happens before the fair begins and late nights in the restaurant, bar, elevator, presentation, social, etc. Youd be surprised what can lead to an interview.

Most people are done by the second day, there really isnt a lot of hiring on Sunday. If a school hasnt filled a position by Sunday they have had dozens of interviews and their tired and frustrated. Usually the premier teachers get hired before the night of the fair. Then the school books their preferred candidates by invitation the first day. By the second day their just interviewing general attendees.
The average teacher gets about 4 interviews for the fair, so there is a lot of down time between them.

Counselors have it hard to shine, but the demand is high (especially if you have college advising experience). My best advice is to be very likable, they already know you can do the job, the fair is about getting a "feel" for people and who well of a fit they will be with the school.