Thai-Chinese International School Bangkok

antitravolta

Thai-Chinese International School Bangkok

Post by antitravolta »

Anybody have new info on this school? It sounds like the school's out of the city. How easy is access to Bangkok? What's around teacher housing? Possible to get by without a car?
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

There are apartments out in Bangplee but most cater for Thais so tend to be single room style. If you search you could something larger or there is always the possiblity of renting a house.

You can travel into central Bangkok via the Bangna skytrain station, which would involve a 20km trip down the Bangna-Trad highway.

If you work out there you would probably want to stay local. Taxis are cheap and you could get around on a motorbike, without the need for a car.

I know nothing about the school but would be weary of anything 'Thai-Chinese' in Thailand. The school website should be ringing alarm bells already...
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Location sucks, no doubt about it. It's actually out of Bangkok province a long way to the east. As pointed out above, the skytrain reaches the bang-na junction now but it is still a long trip even from there. Realistically you would have to live in the vicinity of the school. The upside is that you could rent a decent sized house in that area quite cheaply. Accessing the city would mean a taxi to Bang-Na station and then the skytrain from there - this is cheap enough to avoid needing a car.

I have no firsthand info, but I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about this school. The salary scale I saw when I attended a fair they were at in 2011 was not that impressive - and thai tax is high relative to a lot of other countries. Make sure you get a NET quote on the salary, as gross can be misleading. IMO, you could do a lot worse in Bangkok, but you could also do a lot better.
aridion

Post by aridion »

Can you remember the starting salary at that school?
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

I know the starting salary is $24,000. I'm curious where I'd be as I'm Masters and 4 years experience. If it's around $30,000, I can start to consider it. At 24k, it doesn't matter how low the cost of living is. There's only so much you can save.
aridion

Post by aridion »

that converts as 61,000 baht. Not the best, that's for sure.
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

deleted
Last edited by antitravolta on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

You wont top out that high, with a MA and 4 years your looking at about $26K which at 30:1 exchange rate annualized over a year is 65K Baht and thats gross salary.

The school is third tier, local management, local kids, and for profit (though im sure they have non profit status. The owner is listed as the director so gets a salary).