Hiring Outside the Job Fairs- Which Schools Do It?

justlooking

Hiring Outside the Job Fairs- Which Schools Do It?

Post by justlooking »

Which schools do you know for certain hire outside the job fairs- usually after Skype interviews? If you or someone you know got a job this way, would you share the name of the school?

We've waited a little too long and all the fairs we would be interested in are now closed. We're sending CVs via email for vacancies we see posted and mentioning that we'd like to connect via Skype, but it'd be nice to know which schools insist on a face to face at a job fair so we're not wasting our time.

We are a very experienced couple with AP and IB experience, U.S. certified, overseas experience, one dependent, BUT not in high demand areas (English and elementary).
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Just about every school with the exception of a few of the elite schools hire vie Skype or online interviews. Many people get job offers that way.

If you want you can always go to a fair "rogue", basically a fair is just a hotel with teachers and recruiters. So you fly to the fair and book a room at the hotel. After the sign up session, with the exception of the social the rest of the fair and interviews take place in the recruiters hotel rooms. So you contact the schools and whichever ones insist on a face to face interview if you have enough that are worth it, you make your interviews in advance and go.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I was hired for next year through Skype interviews. I also have a number of friends who have been hired or are being interviewed right now through Skype interviews at tier 1 and tier 2 institutions. My friends are high school counselors, which is probably a high demand area, and a number of them are using personal contacts made at conferences or people they worked with at previous schools so this may also make a big difference.

You say you have overseas experience, do you mean teaching at an international school or having lived overseas? If you've worked overseas already is there a way you could reach out to friends who are working at international schools to see if there are openings at their schools? I figure this is the way to go outside the fair system once you have a few schools under your belt.

A number of schools mention Skype interviews on their website outright. However, I think it would be difficult to compile a list of schools that absolutely wouldn't hire outside a fair.

Good luck.
hallier

Post by hallier »

Just about all of them do, although some may be constrained by policies that demand a face 2 face interview (eg - int school of geneva).

Here are some schools that i know for sure have hired over the phone or by skype. You will see they cover a range if schools and regions.

HKIS
St Johns Belgium (although it was a March appointment)
Is Tanganika (sorry about the spelling)
JIS
NIST
AIS Guangzhou
UWC Singapore (but a late appointment)
Lincoln School Buenos Aires
American Schools in Dhaka, and Bombay.
IS Beijing

Of course, a lot will depend on the quality of the candidate. If the recruiter is nervous other schools will get a great candidate, they'll be more inclined to recruit early.

Good luck:-)