Schools that provide housing

nkraai

Schools that provide housing

Post by nkraai »

As far as schools that provide housing, not an allowance, what are some of the schools which have fantastic housing? One of my biggest fears is accepting a position at a school where housing is provided and living in a dilapidated and run-down apartment nowhere near anything. I would love to hear what people have been impressed with or not impressed with.
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

Good topic. I'd definitely like to hear the flip side of this one too with which schools have awful housing. An amazing place to live honestly would be somewhat wasted on me because I like being outdoors, but a terrible place could ruin an otherwise great time.
nkraai

Post by nkraai »

Anybody currently living in school provided housing? Where are you and what do you think about your living situation?
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

Shanghai American has pretty decent housing on both sides of the river, though much, but not all, of Pudong's is a bit of a hike from the campus.
Last edited by mysharona on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

I once worked at a school in SA and I was provided with a trailer. It was sorta lame.
Mike

Post by Mike »

In Qatar we have a three bedroom villa, 12 foot ceilings, we share a pool and have a maids room out back. Living the dream!
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

I can only speak for the QSI school that I'm at, but the housing is pretty good and it's a short walk to campus (though some people choose to live downtown). The apartments vary in size, from ridiculously massive to cozy, but they're generally well maintained and the school is incredibly prompt with maintenance issues.

I've heard from other teachers that QSI housing in southern China, Thailand, and Kazakhstan is also pretty decent.
nkraai

Post by nkraai »

Can anyone comment on what housing is like at the schools in Dubai and Abu Dhabi? Specifically, the American School of Dubai and the American Community School of Abu Dhabi?
frees1spirit

Post by frees1spirit »

The housing in both schools can be a hit or miss.

At ASD, the housing is usually okay. They have some which are close to the school and so very convenient. It is great if you are given that. However, they also give housing out in Motor City which is a long drive away so you spend ages commuting. The apartments in Motor City are nice though.

A friend at ACS says that some of the housing is very nice and some horrible. The new teachers get the worst housing and each year you can apply to move so you could end up in somewhere very nice the next year. It just depends on who leaves and what new housing the school gets.
Last edited by frees1spirit on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
season4greatness

sevarem and QSI schools in Chendu

Post by season4greatness »

sevarem,

Could you give me an email address so that I may contact you regarding the housing and country specific information about QSI in Chendu, China?

At which QSI location are you located? Is it in China?
I am asking because I have been invited to interview with them.
Thank you.
season4greatness

sevarem and QSI schools in Chendu

Post by season4greatness »

sevarem,

Could you give me an email address so that I may contact you regarding the housing and country specific information about QSI in Chendu, China?

At which QSI location are you located? Is it in China?
I am asking because I have been invited to interview with them.
Thank you.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

If you leave me your email address here, I'll contact you.
Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

Both of the schools that I have taught at have provided housing. In Europe, the housing was in the city center. It was a small, one bedroom apartment. I loved it. In Latin America, the housing was far away from the city center in a rural area. Basically, it was in the middle of nowhere. It was poorly built, filled with bugs, and was in a dangerous area. I had to have many arguments with the school about moving me to a different location. they finally caved, and I got to move to the center.
newboygirl

schools that provide housing

Post by newboygirl »

I have been to numerous schools and am at a very good school with excellent housing now but I came from the international school of Ulaanbaatar. The International School of ULAANBAATAR has the worst housing I have ever experienced. You are housed with locals in an apartment building that is just awful. It is disgustingly dirty, NOISY and NO HOT WATER. When I lived there we had neighbors that drilled all the time! NO matter night or day or anything. I did not sleep fro 2 years! It was just awful. The apartments are terrible. We were moved from one awful complex to another called Bayan Mongol. The first set of apartments were bad and it only got worse with the move. If you like having hot showers and a good nights sleep I would think twice about coming here. They do give you a stipend to find your own housing but it is shamefully low. Housing prices the 2 years I was there went up over 35% for rent. The used furniture in the apartments is beyond used it is not usable at all. The sofa's were falling apart after 2 years I pity the person who took over the apartment. I have taught all over the world in various 3 world countries and I have to say by FAR the housing in Ulaanbaatar given to you by the INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF ULAANBAATAR is the worst I have ever experienced. It is just dreadful. I would think twice before signing on and living in this housing..if I had only known!
marieh

Post by marieh »

sevarem - Could I perhaps contact you about about QSI as well? I just have a few questions about the curriculum and housing.

ektramath(at)gmail.com