ASIJ

pikefish

ASIJ

Post by pikefish »

Can anyone offer some insight on ASIJ? The ISR reviews discuss a new contract that differs considerably from the past. I also noticed a $1600 deductable on their health insurance policy. Is ASIJ still one of the best packages in Asia?
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

There's a lot of information on their web site: http://www.asij.ac.jp/page.aspx?pid=2220 I haven't seen anything significant against the school other than the fact that I probably have no chance getting hired there for another decade or so. That said, because of the package and the location, it's #1 on my list of places I'd like to teach.
Glerky

Post by Glerky »

The school is going through tough times financially from what I've heard. The new director had to let people go last year because of the Tsunami and the fact that a lot of businesses are leaving Japan for tax reasons. Enrollment is down and two years ago they cut new teacher pay by about 10%. There are teachers there making big money but they had to put in 20 years to get to it.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

The sun is just setting in Japan, the economy has been hit hard and with fewer companies locating to Japan, enrollment is falling. ASIJ is just tightening its belt. Its still an amazing package though for Japan and asia in general, and is in the top ten of many ITs to go list. Many people would still love a position there and would happilly retire from there.

Its still an insanely competitive school to get offered a position at though, and turnover is still very low. The hired no new teachers last year except for a few part time positions.
Glerky

Post by Glerky »

PS - What has also happened is that a lot of teaching couples have gone to that school with one not working so that he or she could be with the kids. Financially a family of four can save substantially there on one salary. Many of those trailing spouses are waiting in the wings for jobs. Many positions there are hired through this group.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

I applied there yesterday, but I probably don't have much of a chance, as I'm one of those teachers with a trailing spouse.

The $1600 deductible for their medical insurance plan is the big red flag. As one reviewer noted - the insurance plan is only for emergency care.

They are completely upfront about the workload on their website, though. You will have to work extra hours and more than a few weekends.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Glerky

While thats true their are trailing spouses waiting for positions, the vast majority of them are in primary school, so outside of that its not really an influencing factor.

The major factors are still very low turnover and falling enrollment.

The workload and expectations are VERY high, and yes the insurance policy really only covers major medical. You can buy into the national insurance scheme if you want inclusive care.
Glerky

Post by Glerky »

@psyguy Some were and now are in the Middle school as well.

Not too many IB physics teachers that trail. Although I do agree that falling enrollment and a bad economy are the main reasons the school is struggling.

I do know a lot of people who work there and I haven't heard them complain about the workload. This being said when you are making that much money not many will listen.