International Schools in Chengdu

SKMNVMAH

International Schools in Chengdu

Post by SKMNVMAH »

Does anyone have information about schools in Chengdu? A friend's husband is being transferred there and they are looking for a good school for their 2 elementary children.

Thanks,
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

There are one two reviews for Chengdu schools on the members section. Neither is positive and both are recent. They're typical for 3rd tier reviews from Chinese schools. One is for Chengdu Meishi International School and the other is for Leman International School. There is nothing on the QSI campus, Eton House International, Chengdu International School, or Oxford International.

Chengdu never gets talked about on this forum. It's in the hinterlands of China, so few people go there. I've visited Chengdu many years ago (8 years) and I liked it, though I'm sure like all of China it is radically different now. Back then it was lagging significantly behind east coast cities in terms of development.. The quality and resources of the schools out there are going to be lower than the best that you find in the eastern parts of China.

Good luck.
elizamina

Post by elizamina »

I know some people who work in Chengdu, so here's what information I can pass on:

Chengdu is rapidly developing. A lot of foreign companies are moving their factories there, so there's a lot of expats around these days, which means a lot of expat amenities (Western restaurants, imports in supermarkets, etc).

Chengdu Meishi is the only IB school in Chengdu, but it's mostly a local school and it's not taken very seriously.

Chengdu International School is a very Christian school with a large Korean population. This is neither good nor bad, just something to keep in mind.

Leman is a newer school and is for-profit. What this means for the school and its students, I have no idea.

No information on Eton House, but I hear they only cover primary grades. I'm not sure about that.

QSI Chengdu is the fastest growing school in the city, but the campus leaves something to be desired. Well resourced though, with interactive white boards in the classrooms, etc.

I hope that helps.