Letters of Recommendation

yelsol

Letters of Recommendation

Post by yelsol »

I'm currently teaching at a school in the U.S. but am looking at moving abroad. I've noticed that most schools require three letters of recommendation. I'm hesitant to ask my current principal for a letter of recommendation because I haven't disclosed that I'm looking at other schools and while I have a good relationship with my principal I'm concerned that my choice to look at other schools will be taken personally (somewhat illogical...I know... but I've seen it happen to other coworkers and the remainder of the year turned out to be hell for them.) Is it just expected that a letter of recommendation will come from a current principal and if I don't have a letter from my current principal will that be frowned upon? Any other suggestions for how to proceed with this?
flyingrob31

Post by flyingrob31 »

I am in the exact same position. I got a letter from a former principal, my current math department head, and my current science department head. These are people that I trust (a lot) and I told them to keep it TOP SECRET. I do not want to jeopardize myself if I just stay where I am.
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

It's probably different in the states but the principal of an IS is the first person I tell coming into the last year of our contract that I would be looking around. If you're joining up with Search it's pretty much essential you get your current principal to give you a confidential reference on Search.
yelsol

Post by yelsol »

[quote="flyingrob31"]I am in the exact same position. I got a letter from a former principal, my current math department head, and my current science department head. These are people that I trust (a lot) and I told them to keep it TOP SECRET. I do not want to jeopardize myself if I just stay where I am.[/quote]

That's my dilemma. I love working at my school but teaching abroad has been one of my dreams so I'd like to be able to do that but if I'm unable to find a position then I'd like to stay in my school so I don't want to risk jeopardizing my good standing. You've given me some good ideas though about who I might use as a substitute.
inman

Post by inman »

From my experience and from what I've heard from my colleagues, telling your current boss is much less likely to be an issue for people who are moving countries or cities than for people who are moving to a different international school within the same city. I've known bosses to get a bit nasty when they know someone is moving to a school within the same city, and then the last 6 months of your time there can be VERY uncomfortable, but when crossing borders they can't really be too upset.

Regarding having the principal as a referee, you might see it from time to time in a schools application advice that of the 3 referees provided, 1 should be your current principal, so it's perhaps a safer bet to have it than not. If you don't include it then you might expect to be asked why not if you get an interview.
flyingrob31

Post by flyingrob31 »

[quote="inman"]From my experience and from what I've heard from my colleagues, telling your current boss is much less likely to be an issue for people who are moving countries or cities than for people who are moving to a different international school within the same city. I've known bosses to get a bit nasty when they know someone is moving to a school within the same city, and then the last 6 months of your time there can be VERY uncomfortable, but when crossing borders they can't really be too upset.

Regarding having the principal as a referee, you might see it from time to time in a schools application advice that of the 3 referees provided, 1 should be your current principal, so it's perhaps a safer bet to have it than not. If you don't include it then you might expect to be asked why not if you get an interview.[/quote]

I feel confident that if I get an initial interview, then I would be a strong candidate to get a job offer. At that point, it would be easy to explain away why there is no reference from my current principal. However, do you think that not having a current reference from a principal would stop me from getting an initial interview? I will be with Search.
inman

Post by inman »

You have other references from your current school so I can't see it as being a deciding factor. If you had no referees at all from your school then for sure, that would raise questions, but with what you have I don't think it's something to be worried about. I still think it's a safer bet to have the principal as a referee than not, but if they like you enough to look that deeply into your application then I can't see you losing an interview over it. That's just my opinion though. Best of luck anyway.
PsyGuy

Advice

Post by PsyGuy »

Many ISs will ask or require a reference from your last principal/head. Its acceptable to hold of on it until after or when your about to leave, in case you decide not to go or are concerned about retaliation. At some point though your going to need it. If you dont have one from your last head a school recruiter/admin is going to wonder why, and they usually assume the worse.
flyingrob31

Post by flyingrob31 »

@ Psyguy

So I could provide a letter from my current principal after getting a job offer?