Alcanta International College in Guangzhou

senator

Alcanta International College in Guangzhou

Post by senator »

Anyone heard of this school? They state on their Search profile that they pay 55,000 USD for master's and 8 years and savings of 30,000 for a single teacher.
Is this true?
Also then, why does American International School of Guangzhou which has similar salary and benefits - according to the Search profile, again - state savings of only 10,000?
I worked in southern China for 6 years and cost of living is pretty cheap. Why is AISG savings prediction so low?
Thanks.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I haven't heard of it. Lots of schools like it are popping up in China though.

I would say the estimate difference is because one of them is probably better at estimating how much a typical foreigner would spend in Guangzhou versus a local Chinese person.

As you know China can be quite inexpensive or expensive depending a lot on your lifestyle. Foreign food, drinking in bars, and travel can dig into your savings a lot. Being Chinese and even speaking Chinese can help a lot in terms of finding less expensive options, but unless you live like a local Chinese person then the savings potential that Alcanta cites looks unusually high to me. Most of the folks working for a place like AISG are going to expect a more international lifestyle.

Alcanta looks to be a private Chinese school using IB curriculum, which is different than a place like AISG that cannot enroll Chinese nationals. The management approach is likley to be more Chinese than international at Alcanta too, which would give me pause.