MEF International Schools and The Koc School (Turkey)

sangster2

MEF International Schools and The Koc School (Turkey)

Post by sangster2 »

Anyone teach at these schools or have some idea of what they are like?

Thank you.
Open Communication

Post by Open Communication »

edited.
Last edited by Open Communication on Thu May 30, 2013 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

The MEF school in question is in Istanbul. I think I had heard negative things about the Koc School in the past also.

It is early days yet so I am checking out any school which has vacancies I could fill.

Thank you.
Mick Travis

Post by Mick Travis »

Low down on MEF Istanbul

School site

Campus shared with national school. This can be a problem in terms of resource allocation, but the school is well funded by Alevi businessman. Great drama facilities, poor games facilities. Main teaching is done on six floor building (no lift) with primary at bottom and secondary at top. Ambient noise can be a problem.

Admin

Director can be a ball breaker but if you keep your head down and follow orders she is ok. Note, she has personal say on contract renewal, and it is often down to your attitude to her, and the school, rather than your effectiveness as a teacher. Not familiar with current heads of school. Accredited by CIS a few years ago. Not sure if this has made any tangible difference. Lots of whole school meetings to little effect.

Academics

Quite selective and streamed in upper school. IB entrance exams etc... All teachers are qualified and some very effective. Whole school discipline has been an issue in the past - the mixture of Turkish nationals and other international students can also cause some problems. IB coordinator is dedicated and effective. Turkish Ministry of Education laws can be restrictive.

Housing, perks etc...

See 'reviews' - in ISR.

Life in Istanbul

Wonderful city - probably the main reason for taking a post at this school. Very friendly locals, but often on a superficial level. Be aware that you are dealing with a nationalistic, chauvinistic mindset, even among educated middle class people. As a man be aware that the vast majority of local women live with their parents until they get married. Culture is incredible, ditto nightlife. It's one of those intersections of place/time - Paris in the 20s, Tangier in the 50s, Berlin in the 90s - that you really want to witness first hand.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

Thank you.
WiseTeach

Post by WiseTeach »

MEF Istanbul has been a good international post. I very much enjoy this school, and this staff. I don't agree with what was said about the Head of School but then again... we all have different perceptions of people depending on our interactions.

First rate teachers. Some issues with regard to control over classrooms and PYP but again... do your homework.

It's not a perfect school, but the students are for the most part lovely. Leadership a bit weak in advocating for staff needs. Not much support there. Salary moderate, but I have found the cost of living to be quite manageable on what I make. Housing is also adequate, close and as long as you don't end up in a studio on the very top, or the very bottom... nice.

Best thing about choosing MEF over other Istanbul schools is its fantastic location. EVERYTHING is easily accessible if you don't mind the steep walk home. Istanbul is as a previous poster stated, one of those places that is still romantic and exotic and special. I am so glad to be here before time turns it into a generic metropolis. I am also glad to be at this school
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

deleted
Last edited by sangster2 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
WiseTeach

Post by WiseTeach »

Yes. You will be stared at in the neighborhood. Want a better perspective... give me your contact info and I will put you in touch with someone who works here who has very dark skin. He may be able to tell you more.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

Thanks for the information but can't do that as we can't pm and I don't want to give my email on an open site.

However if I actually apply, I will get back to you. I am not sure about the school yet.

I am used to being started at, as long as there is no hostility I am okay with that.