Odds of teaching in Europe?

livefree

Odds of teaching in Europe?

Post by livefree »

Hello,

I am an American preschool teacher interested in teaching in Europe (or Turkey & Cyprus). I am relatively new---I will have 2 years of teaching experience by summer. Are there any particular schools that will hire a preschool teacher with 2 yrs experience? I know in Europe it's difficult to save, but for me quality of life is more important. Plus I am single, with no dependents and don't spend a lot of $, i.e. I hardly eat out.

PsyGuy

Advice

Post by PsyGuy »

I hate being the bad guy, but no.
Sorry most EC is done by local teachers. Typically, only the top tier ISs really hire expat EC teachers, and your just not competitive or marketable enough.

Two years is the minimum to enter the IS market and people dont usually go directly to WE. They typically start out in the ME or Asia, at a 3rd or 2nd tier school and move their way up. Most teachers in WE have 5+ years of IS experience.

EC isnt really in very high demand, and in WE its usually staffed locally. Schools like to save (some) primary positions for teaching couples in hard to fill/high demand areas.

You dont have an EU passport, most of the lower tier schools (and a good number of upper tier schools) in WE will only hire those with an EU passport.

Turnover is pretty low, most teachers stay put. Some of the top tier schools in WE go whole years without having to recruit anyone. WE schools form a small percentage of the school data base.
WE is a retirement post, many teachers have a "dream" place they want to be at. Its usually one of three places: Japan, Mediterranean Europe (France, Spain, Italy), or a beach somewhere. Competition is very high.

No offense but when recruiters see you, they think "tourist teacher". Your there really to vacation and live that WE life glamorized in the movies and media.
MeghanP

preschool teacher info

Post by MeghanP »

Hello! RIght now I am looking at a list of 35 preschool jobs at international schools around the world. There are some in Eastern Europe as well as Spain. I am currently living in Shanghai and was hired from the US to teach in a bilingual preschool program at a top tier school . Check out TIE.online and see the listings right now. Many international schools value preschool education and pay very well for native English speaking teaches. Check it out! YOu will have many opportunities out there to teach. I would love to talk to you more if you have any questions. :D
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Two years is not the minimum to enter the IS market. It may be in many established schools, but there are many schools that will take you less, and they're not all sh1thole slave pits. Mines not anyway. We earn good money and save the about 40% of our combined income. If this is the bottom rung of the ladder, I look forward to the future.
Glerky

Post by Glerky »

Live Free... if you are a certified teacher you may have some luck. Many WE top international schools have been adding 3 year old programs to hook clients early. If you are not certified though you will have a hard time. There are jobs they just won't be good one.
vitaminz

Post by vitaminz »

There are a lot of jobs out there for EC. You might not get WE at first but then again you might. You don't know until you try.
livefree

Post by livefree »

[quote="Glerky"]Live Free... if you are a certified teacher you may have some luck. Many WE top international schools have been adding 3 year old programs to hook clients early. If you are not certified though you will have a hard time. There are jobs they just won't be good one.[/quote]

Yes I am certified by the state of California....actually I have a Site Supervisor permit, as well as a BA degree in a related field.
livefree

Re: preschool teacher info

Post by livefree »

[quote="MeghanP"]Hello! RIght now I am looking at a list of 35 preschool jobs at international schools around the world. There are some in Eastern Europe as well as Spain. I am currently living in Shanghai and was hired from the US to teach in a bilingual preschool program at a top tier school . Check out TIE.online and see the listings right now. Many international schools value preschool education and pay very well for native English speaking teaches. Check it out! YOu will have many opportunities out there to teach. I would love to talk to you more if you have any questions. :D[/quote]

Hi there! Actually I am already signed up with Tieonline and just the other day I applied for the PreK position in Spain. I didn't see any Eastern European countries listed. I saw Slovenia but that is the headquarters for QSI and they're looking to hire in Egypt (no thanks).