Good schools in India? (apart from ASD)

Mick Travis

Good schools in India? (apart from ASD)

Post by Mick Travis »

Dear ISR community,

I am aware that the American School Delhi is a top school in India, but I am not really qualified for that school (I'm a British teacher with IB/IGCSE experience).

In your opinion which are the best schools in India apart from ASD? ISR reviews are mixed, to say the least, regarding the other schools and there doesn't appear to be a forum post on this subject. Surely there has to be another good school in Delhi and at least one in Mumbai?

I'd be interested to hear from teachers with experience of this part of the world. Thanks.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Not much help, but there is really a big jump from ASD to the other schools. Your basically dropping from top tier 1 all the way down to tier 2.
Mick Travis

Post by Mick Travis »

Thanks for the information. To be honest I'm suprised there isn't another 'tier 1' school in a country of such economic importance
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

American School Bombay? The school looked solid to me and the information on SA makes them look solid in terms of benefits/compensation. Reviews look okay even if there are not a whole lot.

Still not likely to be a great fit for someone with British training.

Part of the issue is that there are a lot of very good private high schools that serve the Indian elite, so those families may not send their kids to international schools as frequently. I know this is true in Pakistan (granted it is a different country, but some trends seem to originate from British Colonial times). Otherwise, living in India (pollution, chaos, noise, poverty, etc) is probably a tough sell for business folks to live with family who don't have an Indian background themselves (non-Indian Americans/Canadians/Australians/etc). I bet those "returners" are more likely to consider good private national schools as well. Now ASD and ASB are probably the schools serving more of the embassy/consulate crowd, so there is a big drop off afterwards. This may account for the relative lack of Tier 1 schools in India. Again, this may be totally wrong and my direct experience with India is not extensive.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

^Was thinking the same. ASB is considered top tier, right? They hosted the flat classroom conference last year, they are a tablet school, and one of my IB workshop leaders works there (who wrote the course companion and part of the subject guide for Language & Literature). Salary and benefits also make it look good enough to be considered top-tier.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I think eion_padraig is pretty on target. Its basically the two american schools at the top and then you drop down to the 2nd tier schools. You could try DSB IS in Mumbai.
gus

Post by gus »

Not sure I would classify AISCH as a 2nd tier school.
Mick Travis

Post by Mick Travis »

thanks for the feedback. I think that Padraig's reasoning is pretty sound. Not much opportunity for British teachers then, which is somewhat ironic given India's history.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@gus

That's why I stopped getting overly involved in ratings of schools. As a forum and community we seldom agree on a regions hierarchy. My list and rating isn't anyone else's list or rating. We've argued for days and weeks about a particular school. In the past and it jus gets repetitive.

I wouldn't classify AISCH as a 1st tier school, not compared to the competition. It's not 3rd tier, so that puts it in 2nd tier.
shamith

Inventure Academy bangalore

Post by shamith »

As part of my internship project, I visited several International schools in Bangalore and Inventure Academy at Whitefield really stands out in terms of their work culture and follows a progressive approach to build a solid foundation for students.
website--> http://www.inventureacademy.com