How likely will posted jobs evaporate....

tlee10

How likely will posted jobs evaporate....

Post by tlee10 »

by the time I can actually get to a fair?

First, allow me to describe myself:
*11 years of certified teaching experience in U.S. (3 history and 8 SPED)
*M.S. Special Education (pending graduation in May 2012)
*Certified in Cross-Cat. SPED and Secondary Social Studies
*Single, no dependents (that I know of)
*Current head of ESS (SPED) department
*Teacher of the Year (I just like bragging about this to my family and friends)
*Speak Spanish at basic/intermediate level

Obviously, I am seeking to secure a position as a SPED teacher. From what I've seen thus far from TIEonline, there are a handful of SPED openings out there. Before I do commit myself to signing up for one of the fairs, I'd like some advice as to whether these positions will still be available come February 2013. Any feedback or suggestions would be truly appreciated.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

Yes, there will be jobs still available at the fairs. I recommend that you attend one. Currently there are about 25 SPED/Learning Support positions listed on Search. Many of the same ones that are on TIE.

In the past I've attended UNI, AASSA and Search Cambridge fairs and they all had many SPED/Learning Support positions available. With my current job, I was hired at the Cambridge fair in February and there were plenty of interviews and choices to be had. This year I'm going to an earlier fair but I would do Cambridge again if I was in the US.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Echo DCgirl, SPED (learning resource) is in high demand at the tier 1 and elite schools for someone with your qualifications. It's actually very likely that you'd be hired before the job fairs.
The only thing I disagree with is that instead of the Cambridge fair, you go to the BKK fair. SPED isn't really in demand at the 2nd tier schools and below, and with your credentials the top tier schools are the ones with the real SPED programs, and the best opportunities are going to be at the Bangkok fair.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

Bangkok is full now.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

There's full to the general masses, and then there's full for special candidates with a very strong credentials. The OP is just the type of person that Search would make room for.
tlee10

Post by tlee10 »

Thanks for the support and guidance. I have submitted everything to Search, except for the payment, about a week ago, so I was kind of hoping to hear back about any kind of fair offer. So far, I haven't heard a word back. My associate is based in New Jersey, so I understand that power might be an issue. I am growing increasingly worried about prospect of being shut out of the remaining fairs.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

I don't think you'll hear anything about the fair until you've paid and they've cashed the check. Hopefully they'll activate your then. if not, you can send an email of inquiry if you don't hear from your associate and they'll either send you the invitation or ask you for more information.
tlee10

Post by tlee10 »

Yeah, it doesn't really explain how the payment works, so I hoping to hear back from my associate to make sure I'm doing everything kosher for the payment process. I did send an email of inquiry to my associate earlier in the week, but no word yet....
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

You arent going to get anything until you pay. A few associates take paypal, but most of them you send a check to them. They should have given you their payment mailing address. It can take a week or more for them to receive it and give you access to the database.