Colegio Anglo Colombiano, Bogota

CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Family, friends, and overall lifestyle enjoyment come first in my life.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

Colombia = Awesome!

Psyguy, even though you spelled Colombia wrong, I'm proud of you for spelling Colombian correct, you're making strides my man.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Now if he could just get woman/women and your/you're straight...
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

The Colombian women are pretty. Unfortunately a lot of them, especially in Cali, seem to feel the need to get surgically enhanced when they really don't need it at all. Some even get the floating ribs removed.

I don't feel the conversation is out of line. If you are a single guy then it's good to know about the social scene.

My friend said for 5years experience and a BA you get just over $40,000 but paid in pesos.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I get woman (single) and women (plural) right all the time. I don't use apostrophes and typing youre is a pain with autocorrect. I didn't really spell Colombian correctly it was again autocorrect.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

You will probably live pay cheque to pay cheque. Since the starting allowance will not cover all the furniture you want for your apartment (good luck finding somewhere furnished), but should cover what you need. Stuff isn't cheap in Bogota. And you will probably travel at the first opportunity. This will be true until you get your first bonus in December. They are huge and will basically be savings. Financially, if you don't have other commitments, you'll be well off. Maybe around 10-15k a year

The school keeps many of its staff for a very long time. They do have a lot of work to do. However, many teachers are ground down over time.

The biggest annoyances are an arrogant admin (a former student of mine asked them what the biggest asset in the school is, and they laughed and said "us of course", so her went to another school instead), and there are a significant number of students that are super entitled elite of Colombia. Basically the reason why the country is in a civil war still. They have no reason to do any work whatsoever, since they are guaranteed places in prestigious universities anyway, and a guaranteed degree and job, all without doing anything. They make doing your job difficult and I felt sorry for all the normal kids that are working hard. You can't even give them a pop quiz for assessment since you are violating their rights...apparently.

Bogota is a great place to live, people are friendly and things are quite easy to buy. It is expensive, girls are hot (and also expensive since you have to pay for everything) and traveling is not that cheap.

I got fired from there, and I'm EXTREMELY glad I am NOT there. With a trailing family, I would be in debt. The others that joined with me have aged considerably and stressed out.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

My friends seem to like it but it might depend on which section you are in.
BobbyBamboo

Post by BobbyBamboo »

Thanks for the info Mathman. I would be in primary if anything comes of my application. Is that where you worked?

I dont have any financial commitments, but you still think I would live pay cheque to pay cheque? Can you explain the bonus thing you mentioned, it's not mentioned on their Search profile?
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

Why would you live paycheck to paycheck? Colombia is cheap and the pay at the school is good. Has it gotten very expensive?

Do you think this is so even for couples?

I am also looking at this school now.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

I hear primary is more manageable, but I don't really know.

Colombia the last time I was there was considerably more expensive than the first time I was. I wouldn't call it cheap anymore