What Are My Chances?

durianfan

Post by durianfan »

Yeah, 10-12k is low. Even the lower end international schools pay at least 20k per month.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

5,000Â¥, is the low end of ESL language school starts at about the range.
10,000Â¥, your move into the middle end language schools at around . This is usually the entry level point for university positions (they also include housing).
15,000Â¥, your into the high end language schools, the University positions that are Academic ESL classes (like Finance, Accounting, Economics, etc), or the bottom of the Bilingual schools.
20,000Â¥ your looking at administration (DOS, AM, etc) for a language school, and the bottom of the international schools or the high end of the bilingual schools.

A couple of signs to look for in a international school:

1) They require an actual teaching certificate.
2) They have an international or western national curriculum.
3) They have a comprehensive compensation package.
Finny

Do I have a shot?

Post by Finny »

I'm a newbie and will be attending the Cambridge Fair in Feb.
I'm single with a Masters +75 credits...no kids, and 5 certifications. I also have 9 years teaching experience all in Long Island, NY.
Do I have a shot? I'm excited, but after doing a lot of reading I dont have all the experience with all the acronyms...not even sure what it all means!
-Thanks!
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

I'll go ahead and ask a couple of the questions I know are coming and then step aside for the people more qualified to answer. What do you have experience teaching? Most international teaching jobs want you to have 2 years of experience teaching a specific field before they will hire you. Where are you willing to teach? The more places you are willing to teach will help your chances.
Finny

Post by Finny »

9 years teaching Special Education in grades 2nd through 5th...I understand to keep an open mind as far as placement goes. I'm willing to teach in any of my 5 certified areas.
Finny

Post by Finny »

As far as placement? South America and Southeast Asia....but keeping my options open.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

You are pretty marketable. SPED is difficult to fill, but there are fewer positions, as many 2nd tier and below schools don't have SPED. Your basic marketability score on a scale of 1-10 is around a 6, which is pretty good. IB, etc isnt as important for a support teacher then it is a PYP HRT.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

@Finny

As long as you interview well, you will be fine. Your years of experience, Masters and other certifications will serve you well. Plus, you have no dependents which is an added bonus. Even without international experience, you'll have a lot of good schools wanting to talk to you. Good luck.
Finny

Post by Finny »

Thank you both! How do you know the Tiers of the schools? Where is that info? How important is it? Also, with all my certifications I am willing to work in a school using any of them. How do I say that w/o sounding desperate? I guess apply for all the positions that I'm certified to teach?
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

The tiers don't really exist. They are just a subjective system that some people use to rank the schools. There are several discussions about it on the forum. It's only important in helping you get an idea of whether this is considered a school of high quality. Everyone has different opinions as to what this consists of and different schools are better fits for different people.

My advice would be to read all the reviews available about any school, try to find people who have taught or are teaching there, and think what qualities are important to you. I also hear quite frequently that it's best to stay away from for-profit schools.

Just apply for any position that you're interested in and let the school determine whether they think you're the best fit for that position. At the fair, you probably need to focus on the one area where you have the most experience. If that's learning support, focus on that and let everyone know that you also are willing to teach subject a, b & c.