Counseling with a dependent

PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

No, I wouldn't say in general they are open minded. Depends on the part of Asia, but non white minorities have/are at a disadvantage in general.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

These are the moments when I really wish there was a PM function. I would not rule Asia out. You're right on some levels but there's so much more to it. Since moving to Hong Kong I have met many Black women (with and without children) who have lived in different Asian countries happily (China, Phillipines, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, etc.). I don't feel that it is any more of an issue than living in the US. The only external issues have actually been people touching my daughter's hair and that's usually followed up by them saying that it's beautiful.
aisha

Post by aisha »

deleted
Last edited by aisha on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
newcounsel

Post by newcounsel »

Well my status has finally been moved to Active on Search. However I am on the waiting list for Cambridge. I truly feel like I'm on the waiting list because of my dependent and other reason. I have informed my associate that I will be more marketable at Cambridge. Thanks for all the positive feedback so far .
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

Two years ago, I was on the waiting list as well. I registered for San Francisco and just waited patiently. I got an email from my associate about a week later saying that I could go to Cambridge. So, don't give up hope. And remember that it's also not the end of the world if you don't go to that particular fair. Use the database to start contacting schools and see if you can get hired outside of the fair or at another fair. And bug your associate a little. Be gracious, but let them know that you are REALLY interested in going to Cambridge. Good luck.
newcounsel

Post by newcounsel »

Yea you all will be happy to know that I have an invite to attend the Cambridge Fair. I feel so much better and I am planning on landing a counseling job.

Do you have any idea how to make my resume/portifilo stand out? Example: An art teacher can make a mag to showcase student work. What is something I can do to make me stand out.

Thank you in advance for advice
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Glad to hear you received the invite.

Are you hoping to do high school, middle school, or elementary school counseling? Depending on the type of counseling role you want, I'd think the schools would be looking for slightly different skills.

I think a lot of it comes down to your ability to work well with a wide variety of individuals. Being comfortable discussing your cross cultural skills and working with parents would be important at just about any school and any level. I think helping kids transition in and out is another common theme with schools with a lot of Third Culture Kids.

Good luck.