Pets allowed?

vitaminz

Pets allowed?

Post by vitaminz »

Do any international schools allow you to bring your pets with you and stay in the provided housing? Dogs? Cats? Birds?
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Some do, some don't. It really depends on the housing and who owns it. Most schools don't really own their provided housing, they enter into an agreement with the landlord or property owner. If your given a housing allowance you can limit your search to those properties that would permit pets.

I use to think bringing your pets overseas was a horrible idea, all I'd heard was nightmare stories. This last year, I've heard a lot of reports that depending on the country it isn't that bad really. More expensive then anything.
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

I'm really glad this was brought up. I've been meaning to ask. I have a cat I'd hate to leave behind, but I want to do what's best for the cat. What countries are generally better or worse? I've heard in the UAE that pets can't fly in the cabin. What type of horror stories are we talking here? Something like that or true disaster stories of bringing pets over? Thanks in advance.
koda

Post by koda »

I brought my small dog overseas to eastern Europe last year. I was really scared and prepared for the worst. But it turned out to be a really easy process. The school didn't help with my dog's move, but they did make sure I had housing that allowed me to have a pet. My vet was really helpful and I had all of the paperwork done and stamped. I think bringing a pet into Europe is really easy. I don't know about other places, as I haven't tried it. But my dog goes back and forth with me in the summers and it's easy on both ends- stamped vet certificate and her EU pet passport is all I need now. She is small, so she goes in the cabin with me.

Also, having her here is such a blessing! As a single person, sometimes it can get lonely in a new place and new culture- especially if there is a language barrier. But with my dog, it gets me out of my apartment, walking and meeting and talking (everyone loves to meet a new dog, regardless of the country it seems!) with my neighbors. So I am glad that I brought her- also it's nice to come home to her when she is wagging her tail excited to see me!
KellyGuy

Post by KellyGuy »

I could have brought my yellow labrador to Brazil, but I never even considered it. She is nearly 12 years old, and while she is very very attached to me, she also would be alone at home all day, just like she was back home. There is no "doggy daycare" like there was back in the states.

And as a large dog, she would have had to go in a crate, be sedated, and it would have been an awful trip for her. I left her with my sis in CA, where she has two other dogs to hang out with, a 4 yr old grandson of my sister's to follow around, and four acres to explore. She's plenty happy.

But there is no reason that I wouldn't be able to have a pet here. Most families in the condo complex where I'm living have dogs and/or cats.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I don't know about Brazil, but some years back I was in Buenos Aires (or rather in the suburbs near Lincoln School) and I saw some people walking large groups of different dogs (5 or 6). I assumed they were professional dog walkers by the look of them.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

If you do take your pet make sure you have all the right paperwork, do some research on your own and don't assume your North American vet knows what they are talking about. Take it from someone who found out the hard way and was blessed with an understanding Austrian customs official.