Moving on from QSI Schools?

IAMBOG

Moving on from QSI Schools?

Post by IAMBOG »

We are looking at QSI as we are a teaching couple with two young kids.

We are wondering how other schools react to teachers working with the mastery system. Is is looked at negatively?
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

I wonder about that, too...
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

As someone who has moved on I can tell you that there was a bit of "wink, wink nudge nudge" from directors we were interviewing with but working for QSI didn't prevent us from landing jobs at a large, well paying, highly thought of school.

As I have said before, schools have their issues, see the thread concerning Saudi Aramco, and while QSI's may have publicly discussed here that doesn't mean they are the only school with them.
PsyGuy

My view

Post by PsyGuy »

Teachers that move on from QSI are seen as any other teacher moving from an entry level school. Jus about every school has some form to varying degrees of academic dilution and grade inflation.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Overhere, what do you mean, "wink wink nudge nudge"? As in, no one took your experience seriously at all?

Also, if you don't mind, how many years were you with QSI?
Gereja

Not to worry

Post by Gereja »

I would not worry about it. The last few years QSIers from my school have moved on to the following schools (just to mention a few): Saudi ARAMCO, Bangkok NIST, American International School of Vienna, Graded Sao Paulo and ISH(Hauge). These were, singles, couples and families (one with 3 kids).
Danda

Post by Danda »

I haven't seen QSI teachers get into schools anywhere near the quality that Gereja has. Most of the teachers I've seen leave ended up at lower tier schools in Chennai, Qatar and Morocco. The best school i've seen anyone from QSI get into was International School of Prague and that was from a different QSI school (I think the one that Gereja is at now). I have also seen a few get into some decent schools in Saudi Arabia at ISG (one of their remote campuses).

I have also seen a lot of QSI people be very disappointed when they pursued jobs at Tier 1 schools. I don't think it is likely that you'll walk out of QSI into a Tier 1 school, but it is possible. It is more likely that you'll transition into a Tier 2 or 3 school. The hard part of leaving QSI is that while it can be frustrating working for QSI it is also very safe. I know I will be paid on time, my health insurance is good and the workload is totally manageable.
Gereja

Quals

Post by Gereja »

@ Danda
Yes, the couple from here went to ISP (Prague) single hire with non teaching spouse. I did not mention that one but as you highlighted many do move up from here. In fact, in 2 years 6 families moved to ARAMCO if you consider that a tier 1.
The staff in Shekou is over 60 large. I imagine with any big school, some move on, up, sideways and over. Remember some people move to schools or locations for quality of life options not to move up and down the "tiers" wink wink like QSI maternity.
I've noticed that QSI hires BAs in history for example but not BAs in education so maybe that is why you have seen the lack of success finding a better school. They may have teaching experience but not qualifications.

I totally agree on the "safe" comment you made though.. my husband and I both have BAs and MAs in education, IB, MYP, PYP and AP experience have 10+ overseas and are still considering a transfer.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

I don't buy that Aramco doesn't hire that many people, personally I've seen many, many more QSI teachers that move to other tier 2 or tier 3 schools. Theres are a few rare exceptions that move up, but not the vast majority of teachers. QSI is an entry level post, that leads to another entry level post.

What's so great about QSIs maternity leave, it's unpaid leave, you can get that anywhere in Western Europe? Even in the states under FMLA you can get 6 months of unpaid leave.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

Total crap! Schools are not that shallow, no matter what you think. If you have the experience, the good recommendations, the qualifications, the right family situation it doesn't matter where you have worked in the past. If you and the school make a good fit they will hire you.

Besides there are so many variables to take into consideration that making a broad statement that you can't move "up" from QSI is not true in any sense of the word. I have met numerous teachers that have had QSI experience and then found themselves at a better paying, larger school.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

To be honest I don't know if I can put into words what the wink wink nudge nudge were about. Perhaps over a perception of what QSI does in the classroom, who knows. In the end it didn't matter as I found myself in a "tier 1" school, as defined by this forum.

Interestingly enough, I find this same "tier 1" school moving closer and closer to QSI's mastery model every year.

I wouldn't worry that QSI might be a blight on your resume, it won't no matter what other people think. The previous poster is right, if you are a good fit and have all the right qualifications you will be hired.
Danda

Post by Danda »

My wife and I just submitted our intention forms this past week and decided to stay where we are for another year (our 4th here). We really like the school and the city that we are in now and are excited to stay for another year. However, it is nice to hear that so many people have been successful getting jobs at better schools in good locations.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

No, schools are that shallow, they really are.

I'm not saying that NO ONE moves up from WSI, I see it only rarely though. I know when couple that went from QSI to SAS (Singapore). I don't see these claims of QSI as a gateway school to the top tier schools though.