For QSIers with experience

Gereja

For QSIers with experience

Post by Gereja »

Hello,
My family and I have been with QSI for 4 years and are considering a transfer. At the start of next year our kids will be @ 2 and 4 years of age. Would those of you with experience please give us your 2 cents on good locations for families? Appreciated
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

How did you like QSI? I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Autumn

For us

Post by Autumn »

We have had a good experience with QSI. We have taken advantage of the maternity package, been able to get AP and IB experience, get paid on time, have excellent health insurance and housing.
The mastery learning is difficult to pull off in many regards. Some QSI schools (like ours) are not in purpose built facilities leaving a lot to be desired. The hours (8:15-4:30: 3 days and 8:15-5:30: 2 days) are long and the overall expectation to give your mind, body and soul to your job seems expected amongst admin and to be honest necessary.
The employee handbook is straightforward and clear, and seems to be followed by headquarters. For us, we have young children and are not sure if we want to throw our hands in the job search pit. Rather a smooth transition (transfer to another country)where we know the school-curriculum, pay, insurance and so on may just be easier for now. That's why we are sending for feelers about other locations.
Does this help?
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

@ Autumn

What did you do with your children when you were required to work so late? This is my main concern with any school.

What location (s) did/do you work at?
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Autumn, I really think the amount of hours/donation of your mind, body and soul depends an awful lot on where you are. At my location, we're required to stay until 4, but that's it. People can and do stay later if they need to. Meetings tends to run until 4:30, but that's once a week. If you run an ASA for secondary school, then you stay until 4:30 twice a week, but you only have to run an ASA for two out of the five quintiles. The requirements here are pretty reasonable.

Gereja, I think that also depends on where you are. Are you in one of the Stans right now? Because almost any place would likely be better than that. Europe is likely great and China is good for families.
Autumn

Shekou

Post by Autumn »

Hi, Sorry depending on what computer I log in under I am Autumn and Gereja. Not to confuse...same person:)

We are in Shekou, China. It has been super for our family and other families. We have a full time nanny (housekeeper) and the Early Childhood Program starts at 2 years if that's when you choose to send your children.

The pollution is truly truly awful. That is why we want to leave.
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

@ sevarem what location are you at? Obviously work load is a concern.
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

@ Autumn

Can I ask how did you choose your nanny (aiy)? My husband is really nervous about hiring one for our son if we need to work late. Any words of wisdom?
Autumn

Ayi/Nanny

Post by Autumn »

There are a LOT of families with kids here in Shekou so when a pool departs their nanny's are looking for work. This way you have a pool of nanny's to chose from who have worked with westerners who can give references. Once hired most families with kids are in touch with current employees and the conversation about nanny's, things for sale and all else begins.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Micki, if you give me your email address, I'll be happy to answer any questions you have. We also have a nanny for our child, by the way. She's fantastic.
Autumn

Post by Autumn »

@sevarem

Is your location a desirable one for families? If so can you expand on my initial post?
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Autumn, there are a lot of families at my location, many of them with small children. There are some families that stay for quite a while, as they think it's a good place to raise kids. There are a lot of resources here for kids: swimming lessons, soccer Saturdays, ice skating, laser tag. All of the international schools in the city banded together to form a sports/arts association, so there's a lot of cross-school stuff that goes on.

If you want more details, feel free to leave me your email.
markholmes

Post by markholmes »

Also considering QSI (teaching couple). I'd be grateful for any info. We currently live an hour outside Cairo and quite isolated from the other teachers in the school. We have a six year old and a four month old and we are the only family. Really looking for schools with other families.

We lived in southern China many years ago (1998), before we had kids.

holmes5668@hotmail.com
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

General questions about QSI, I'm happy to answer here (and hopefully other current/former QSI teachers will chime in). Questions about my specific location, I'll answer through email.

I think QSI is a pretty good place for families, but it also depends on location. I'm not in and will never go to any -stan country. Others feel differently and there are quite a few couples with children at my school that were in one of the -stans last year. Most of them seemed to enjoy it. Each to their own.

There are many teaching couples with young children this year. It's a pretty family friend atmosphere. Last year, not so much. Many singles and childless couples, but the majority moved on to be replaced by couples with children. I suppose it depends on any given year.

QSI has a pretty generous maternity leave policy as well, if you're thinking in that direction.