Aramco Schools Compound

gbr1964

Post by gbr1964 »

Expat,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Armco. I know it is a fairly closed community and any info is helpful. I am also sure you get a ton of requests for info so thanks again. Could you weigh in on a teaching couples chances at Armco? I am a math teacher certified to 8th grade and also hold administrator cert and my wife is bilingual cert to 6 th grade as well as PE with a strong coaching background in volleyball(she played on Mexican national team). We have two children ages 2 and 4. Lastly, how are the schools organized as far as grade levels? How many elementary and middle? What is turnover like? Thanks for your insights they truly are appreciated
expatteacher99

Post by expatteacher99 »

Well, teaching couples are very desirable here. Singles and men with non-teaching wives are hired as well, though. Women can't sponsor dependents (as per Aramco policy), so a female teacher could not bring her non-teaching husband with her.

As for your specific positions, I think that like all schools, it would depend on luck and whether there were openings for your positions. One potential issue could be that the schools go up to Grade 9, and depending on which school you're at, you might be required to teach middle school and Grade 9 math. I don't know if that would be a dealbreaker (you not being certified for 9th) - perhaps they would overlook that. I really am not sure. When you say that our wife has bilingual certification, do you mean ESL? There's obviously not an abundance of PE positions, but coaching is often valued, especially in the smaller schools where there are a limited number of teachers to coach and sponsor activities. I know of several couples who came in with just the husband teaching, and the wife staying at home or subbing. Then when a suitable position opened up, the wife went to full time.

There are 5 schools. Three are early childhood through 9th grade, and they are all quite small. Then in the largest compound there is a large elementary school and a large middle school that goes up through 9th grade.

There's less turnover than at other international schools I've worked at. People do leave of course, but on average people tend to stay longer. The families with children tend to stay because they feel that it is such a great place for their children. Most people either love it or hate it, so they stay for a short time or a very long time.
gbr1964

Post by gbr1964 »

Expat Ty so much for responding. Would you know if your principal goes to the job fairs at all or if that is left to recruiters? My last question I promise.
expatteacher99

Post by expatteacher99 »

In the years I've been here, it's always been someone from the school system who attends the job fairs. It's not the Aramco corporate recruiters, if that's what you mean. The school district handles its own recruitment. If I'm remembering correctly, last year it was one of the building principals and the assistant superintendant. I haven't heard who will be attending this year.
gbr1964

Post by gbr1964 »

Thanks expat...what do you teach and for how long? I think I mentioned I teach math but my passion is history...just never had the chance to teach it. How about yourself?
ajedigecko

Post by ajedigecko »

the interview went great.

as for contacting Aramco, i did nothing special, all i did was send a simple message to admin.
gbr1964

Post by gbr1964 »

Ajedigecko,

Glad to hear about interview. Do you mind if I ask what subject you teach and what school you spoke to? Lastly, when you say you contacted adm did you just send a resume out of blue or was it in response to an advertised vacancy? Thanks for the insight and hope it works out for you.
ajedigecko

Post by ajedigecko »

i did not send resumes out of the blue....i am registered with uni fair. Aramco is listed and will be at uni fair.

my certifications: k-9 elementary, k-12 pe, 5-9 math, curriculum and instruction.

after the interview, we are now comfortable with our decision, if offered positions.

we are a humble family.
expatteacher99

Post by expatteacher99 »

Congrats on the successful interview, ajedigecko. Hope it works out for you. Did you get answers to your questions about leaving the country due to a family emergency? If not, let me know and I can shed some light on that.

As for bringing your 5th grade daughter with you, I strongly disagree with the earlier comments about Aramco compounds being such a miserable place for your daughter, and that you'd be robbing her of a her childhood. Having lived here, I can say how absurd that assumption is. The compounds seem to be a dream for kids! Family life and having happy kids is one of - possibly the top - reason why so many families stay here. Sure, the money is great, and that is often a top factor for teachers. But for other employees, such as engineers, Aramco is not the top paying company in the world. Some of these people could make more money elsewhere, but they stay because it's a nice place for their families. The compounds really are child-centered environments. Neighborhoods are all built around parks, and there are way more parks than needed for the number of children. There are special events for kids happening all the time - carnivals, sports teams, swimming/dance/karate lessons, parties, children's movies, games, bike rides, etc, etc, etc. Your daughter could have something going on every night if she wanted to. There are youth centers where the kids can go to hang out after school and on weekends. If you end up at one of the small schools, your daughter will have more opportunity to participate in sports, drama, clubs, fine arts, and student government than she would at most schools.

My huband I don't have children, but being here almost makes us want to. That's how great of a place it is for school-aged kids. It's the adults who sometimes get bored. :D Like any place, it is what you make of it.
ajedigecko

Post by ajedigecko »

expatt - all of my questions were answered.....and this fact alone, helped greatly in becoming, comfortable with our decision.

would you mind corresponding with me, as we have developed contacts quickly with one particular staff member?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

We just disagree expatteacher99, all those after school activities and a extra curriculars still amount to a fishbowl.
expatteacher99

Re: Reply

Post by expatteacher99 »

Yes, it is a small town experience. No one ever claimed it was a big city experience. If parents like the "fishbowl" small town vibe and want that kind of childhood for their kids, it can be a great place to live. If parents prefer big cities and want that kind of childhood for their kids, then no, it's not a good choice. Teachers need to think long and hard about whether it would be a good fit for them, just like they do with all schools.

I'm not arguing that Aramco is great and it's perfect for everyone. There are people who would absolutely hate it here. I'm simply letting interested teachers know what it is really like. In referring to the other poster's 5th grader, you said "there is NOTHING to really do, NOWHERE to really go, and NOTHING to really see." As an Aramco employee and international teacher, I feel it is my duty to let fellow international teachers know the reality...that there is in fact plenty to do, especially for kids and families. Saying there is "NOTHING" to do is gross error.

"We just disagree expatteacher99."

That we do. You are entitled to your opinion. But I will continue to keep other teachers informed, based on my experiences actually living here, teaching in an Aramco school, working with children, and talking to them about their feelings about living in an Aramco compound. You are free to keep making your assertions based on.......whatever it is you're basing them on.
gbr1964

Post by gbr1964 »

ajedigecko,

ty for your response. Again I wish you great luck with your endeavors and am very interested in your experience as I too am part of a teaching couple with two young children so like you we really want to make sure we are making the right decision for our family if we decide to move abroad. Would be happy to correspond with you about your situation if you would be open to that. Thanks again.
ajedigecko

Post by ajedigecko »

ajedigecko@aol.com

i would like to correspond with expatteacher99 and gbr1968.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I suppose we have very different experiences, none of the kids seemed really happy there, parents seemed happier about their kids then their kids did, and there is NOWHERE to go and NOTHING to do, a handful of activities wears old and thin very quickly year after year. Its the same kids playing the same kids at sports, its the same kids hanging out with each other in a teen/youth center. Even the small town america fishbowl experience is an experience that you can hop in a car and go somewhere else 30 minutes away. you cant do that at Aramco

I respect and value your opinion, and i wouldnt want you not posting it for the world, we need different and multiple perspectives.