QSI questions for current QSI employees

ready2go

QSI questions for current QSI employees

Post by ready2go »

I have a couple of questions that maybe you'd be willing to help me with.

Is there anywhere that you can see a salary schedule? It's not on their website right?

People say the healthcare is good. What about dental? My son is currently in braces is orthodontics an option at all?

My wife takes thyroid medicine everyday. It seems that prescription drugs are available, but if your on something specific is it better to get stuff in the states?

Thanks for all of your input =]
PsyGuy

Comments

Post by PsyGuy »

Dental isn't included, and QSI has a standard Pre-existing conditions exemption in its coverage. Medication is extremely inexpensive outside the USA. Your medication though is likely to be covered, assuming its not some horribly expensive or experimental drug.

If you feel comfortable bringing your medication with you then do so, you can't control where an overseas pharmacy sources its supply, and the import of drugs can cause problems with customs depending on the country. Basically, if you get it in your lucky, sometimes you get the short straw and its intercepted when coming in, it all depends on the country. DHL tends to be the best, with the highest success rate, with post the worst, and EMS in between.
koda

Post by koda »

Hi,
They don't have a salary schedule posted, but they will give it to you once they give you an offer. It's a fairly straight forward schedule- you have steps and columns based on education plus there are bonuses.

As for insurance, it really is great insurance. As long as you've been covered under insurance before, preconditions will be covered under cigna global. For medication, you can get a 1 year supply in the summer before you go overseas and the insurance pays for that (the pharmacist has to call them to get the go ahead to fill it) or you can participate in a mail-order service to get it delivered. I usually fill mine up in the states because it's easiest for me.
There is no dental coverage, but many of the places that have qsi schools you can get extremely cheap dental care that is still a high quality. Last year one staff member had to take their kid to get their orthodontics removed and then fitted for new ones and it cost next to nothing (especially when comparing to the states).
ready2go

Post by ready2go »

Koda:

Thanks for the reply. My wife's medication doesn't seem like it will be much of a problem then. Plus aside from her thyroid condition, our whole family are very healthy, so it's really just this one medication that we are worried about.

Thanks for the input about ortho, it's defiantly a concern that we have.

Anyone else out there with information about healthcare and or ortho?

As far as a salary schedule, is it some kind of secret or something? Looking all over the forum no one seems to want to be specific at all. I guess I'm just used to the states where it's posted on every districts website. So as far as QSI goes, I understand steps and columns, what I'm interested in is where that starts and how much is a step.

Anybody willing to break the code of silence? Or at least explain why there is a super secret?
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

it used to start a around 28,000 entry for experienced teachers and go up about $1000/yr. My info is a bit dated so take it for that.
Danda

Post by Danda »

I don't think it is some sort of conspiracy to keep it secret. It is difficult to find it online but I've written several posts explaining the salary. I'll go ahead and do it again below.

This will take some calculations on your part to figure out how much you will make. A teacher with 7 years experience and a masters base salary is $32,300 (subtract $1000 off of that for not having a masters; subtract or add $800 to that for every year more or less of salary). You also get an overseas allowance of $4500 (only one per family whether a family of 1 or 8; starts at $1900 first year and then goes up to $3900 second year and then adds a few hundred dollars per year after that up to around $6000), a $2500 resigning bonus and $2000 end of year bonus. The grand total is $41,300. These numbers are exact as I have the salary schedule sitting right in front of me.

This salary is net. Any taxes on this will be paid by QSI. The one exception may be Italy but I think even there it is tax free for the first 2 years. Don't quote me on that.

The insurance is really good compared to most you'll get in the US. However, if you're Canadian you'll complain because they're used to their communist system of providing free healthcare for all.

BAM! I just blew the lid of this QSI conspiracy to keep their salary scale secret. If I don't post on here ever again it is because I have been assassinated by the QSI mafia for divulging this secret. Wish me luck.
ready2go

Post by ready2go »

Danda: I fear for your safety, but appreciate you taking one for the team =]
I honestly tried searching for it, so double thanks for doing again.
I thought I'd read somewhere that they would only give you credit for 7 years experience. I have 18 years, will they give me credit for all of it? Maybe it was 10 years that I read they gave credit for?

I lived in Canada for a couple of years so I know what you mean, but I'm not Canadian.

Thanks again for the info =]
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I don't know any schools that even the ones that have dental, cover orthodontics.

The cap is 7 years of experience, last I checked, the vast majority of schools max out by 10 years. They won't give you 18 years of credit.

QSI doesn't pay the taxes in Italy. The tax rate is 40%, Americans pay an average of 10% their first two years (9% the first year, and 11% the second year). Incidentally IF QSI did pay the taxes it would make them the best paying school in all of Italy, and a vast majority of Western Europe.
Danda

Post by Danda »

The cap is 7 years. I think they are pretty strict on that for teachers. However, if you entered as an admin, I believe they would be flexible. I have a friend that came into QSI as an administrator with 20+ years of experience and he did not start at the 7 year step. He never told me how many years they gave him, but it was more than 7 and less than the 20+ he had.

I just emailed my very good friend that teaches in QSI-Brindisi about the taxes and housing situation there. I'll post what he says about it when he gets back to me. I'm really not sure about it.
ready2go

Post by ready2go »

One more question on the salary subject. Do they pay over 12 months or 10?
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

The tax rate in Italy is 40%?

Italy individual income tax rates 2012

Tax (%) Tax Base (EUR)
23% 0 - 15,000
27% 15,001-28,000
38% 28,001-55,00
41% 55,001-75,000
43% 75,001 and over
PsyGuy

Yes

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes, just about every IT an an IS would fall in the €28K-€55K range which is 38%. This is only the national tax and doesn't include the regional (1%-1.5%) or the municipal tax (such as the city tax for Rome). It's actually a progressive rate, meaning you pay 23% on the first €15K, then pay 27% on the next €13K, etc. The municipal tax ranges between 4% and 9% depending where you live, and it changes yearly. Rome is right around 9%, which is where the majority of ISs are. So take the regional rate and municipal rate and add about 10% for those together and the ranges are more like:

33%
37%
48%
51%
53%

You normally pay that first level tax rate for about half the year, or 5 months, then the second level for 4 months and the last 3 months at the third level.

So yes the tax rate for Italy is on average for an IT 40%.
trebleclef

Post by trebleclef »

ANYway...ready2go, QSI pays on a 10 month scale.
Danda

Post by Danda »

I just got an email back from my friend at QSI - Brindisi and he said they do not pay any taxes out of their salary for the first 2 years. Also, housing is included. He said they live in a great little place about 10 minutes from the school and 5 minutes from the coast. He said it is basically a 2 year gig because after the first 2 years, teachers have to pay taxes, which are very high as mentioned earlier.
PsyGuy

NO

Post by PsyGuy »

I don't believe that, I've met those teachers and they aren't provided housing. Only Americans get the two year tax exemption any other European, Canadian, Australian teachers don't qualify and QSI wouldn't pay their taxes, for the same reason they wouldn't pay their American teachers taxes after two years.