Any Chance for a Tainted Record to Land an IS Job?

NewISTeacher

Any Chance for a Tainted Record to Land an IS Job?

Post by NewISTeacher »

I ran into some overzealous American police six months ago, and now have a couple misdemeanors on my record in a state I don't live in anymore.

I've got the two years full-time teaching experience, and certification (math) -- if I round up the recommendations and pay for a job fair, any chance I might land some country that will permit me a visa and a school that will allow me to teach for them?

Good Day..
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Depends on the convictions? Ae they anything that would cause your current state to deny, suspend, or revoke your certification? Ae they felonies that went to the FBI? G to your current state and request a copy of your criminal background check. If its only your current state, then you don't have a problem. If they do show up, then you can try going to your local police department and request a criminal background check through them, those typically only include local convictions.

Most ISs do one of three things, either 1) They rely on the teacher to provide them a certified criminal background check. 2) They use a commercial online service. 3) They use a government database records check (such as an ECRB check in the UK).
If the school uses an online commercial service it will most likely at some point pick up your convictions, if not now sometime in the future depending on that states criminal records division and the courts. This is the route many schools are taking now. It's relatively inexpensive and conclusive.
The FBI shares data with INTERPOL, and INTERPOL passes that data onto various agencies in other countries. It depends on the offenses, Misdemeanors are not likely to be passively transmitted.
It wasn't until rather recently that you cold get a copy of your FBI criminal background check, and most schools don't even know you can get one. Many schools will be satisfied with a "local" police criminal background check, some schools will want a state one. Either way your in a new state and they aren't likely to turn up.