Job Fairs: Are they worth the cost, time and effort?

truthSAYER

Job Fairs: Are they worth the cost, time and effort?

Post by truthSAYER »

As the season for job hunting is already here or approaching quickly, many are trying to determine whether or not they should either sign-up with recruiting agencies or register for job fairs. We who were whom were included in this last years wave of fair attendees, feel it is important that people should know that despite how they may currently promote their services, recruiting and staffing agencies such as Search Associates, and International Schools Services have not really changed; they are still expensive, time consuming, -no positive results guaranteed- operations and from an enterprise perspective -lucrative ones. Thus, there is also a now a proliferation of smaller outfits trying to cash in on the growing int'l school market but they're still mainly getting only the crumbs off the table.

Frankly speaking, these agencies big and small are businesses and few if any seem to actually, truly have the educator/admin candidate interest at heart beyond "placing" them which is really just the equivalent of making a sale. The truth is although you are assigned a "representative" they do minimal in advocating for you or placing you -they just sign you up and may (or may not) answer questions about the process if you have them -there is in reality seldom any work done on their part to actively match you to the market needs -that's your job. So this being the case, one way of looking at it is that when entering this relationship and/or process both the school and the candidate are working for these agencies -because whether or not a candidate is hired they and the school are paying so the agency involved profits.

The last SA event I attended in Bangkok (January 2012) was a frustrating experience for many educators and schools because this time around SA arranged the job fair schedule so the first day was set-up as being made available for "school info presentations". This was explained as being a way to allow schools to make their pitch in advance and better inform potential employees about their offerings. Sounds good and makes sense in theory, however, while these show and tell sessions were taking place many, schools were already meeting with candidates in the hotel rooms, the lounge, and even nearby bars for "informal" interviews which somehow resulted in a number of "formal" contracts being offered before the sign-up, interview and recruiting part of the fair actually began the next day. So quite a few jobs which had been posted for the fair were suddenly no longer available; they were filled via back room deals before people even had a chance to throw their hat into the ring and interview. Likewise, some candidates had already signed before schools were able to meet with them. Not good.

I'm not sure how much feedback SA received about this but I'm sure it was some. They were quick to proudly point to how many people were employed at the fair but the details of the how e.g., at what stage they were informed of positions being filled- were not discussed. Whatever the case, if I were going to sign-up for an SA or any agency fair I'd certainly raise the issue prior to registering, buying plane tickets, making hotel reservations for the whole event. Likewise if a prospective school replied to an employment inquiry or asked which fairs I was attending I'd want to ask them in return what their process or policy was about arranging meetings with contacts at these events and work to see if a phone, or skype interview with them could suffice.

It's only fair to mention that it is the case that are a number of successful school-candidate relationships that have been brokered through Search and other agencies, and they do have a vast number of schools in their database convinced that these recruiting fairs are still the best way to find talent and staff their schools.. However, despite these facts, the majority of people who've experienced job fairs will tell you that they are not the most ideal ways to connect with or interact with future employees. Beyond the big costs, the demands of what can be a time-crunched, stressful process has resulted in the fair experience being referred to as "a meat market, cattle call, and interview speed-dating sessions". These less than positive terms have arisen in the circuit for a reason.

In the final -, when considering fair attendance, it seems evident that using personal networking to get jobs with technology to augment leveraging word of mouth information or via directly contacting schools is absolutely the preferred way to go -even if you must sign-up with an agency just for access to their database.

This is unless for some strange reason that despite no guarantee of successfully landing a job one is of the mind that paying loads of cash to have some short face to face encounters with potential employers who are there to quickly sell their school and recruit talent has some added value beyond a little face to face networking with the int'l school good ole' boy network at their cocktail hour.

So with this caveat emptor about the fairs -best of luck to everyone who's job hunting this year!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Fairs are a means for a lot of schools and a lot of candidates to converge in one place. They have never been more then a place and people coming together. Yes attending a fair is expensive, but it would be far more expensive in orders of magnitude, to travel to these schools independently to interview. Fairs are not "fair", this is not an athletic event or competition, it's about business. Schools want the best teachers signed as soon as possible, that's there goal. It's about winning for them, and yes the agencies work for the schools not the candidates. Teachers pay about $200, and schools pay about $2000 per teacher, so a school that hires 5 teachers pays about $10K off the schools, your $200 is insignifigant compared to that. They make their money from the schools.
truthSAYER

Job Fairs process: orders of magnititude, and signignace

Post by truthSAYER »

Dear PsyGuy,

Thanks for weighing in. I'm not entirely sure about the motivation behind your counter points -maybe you've interpreted my posting as being one- sided or biased and as I've written from the position and experience of a candidate educator this may be so. However, I still must respectfully disagree with you that the agencies work for the schools. As you've acknowledged -they are in the end businesses, and thus I think it is more accurate to say that they work for themselves, not the schools or candidates.

Regarding fairness, my post was really not about the justness of the process. It was in part, about the experience many had recently and the challenges of understanding what the rules were as they apparently changed suddenly without many knowing. This left a number of schools and candidates dissatisfied with the process. Regarding costs; your order of magnitude and significance may apply on a larger scale when considering organizational needs first but try explaining this to an individual teacher who spends several thousands on airfare, hotel rooms, time off from work, the printing out resumes, portfolios etc. only to arrive and learn that the jobs advertised at the fair have all at the last minute evaporated and they are now leaving empty handed and unemployed. Participating in the job fair process costs a lot more than lot more than $200.00 and even so on an individual basis 200 beans is significant to an individual teacher.

As I've pointed out, this is not to say that no one has benefited from the job fair process, -many have -and I make that clear in paragraph five. However, I still strongly advocate educators angling more personalized encounters be they by telephone, skype or if the occasion allows face to face interviews because it seems a surer path to better understanding the process, maintaining equal control of it and certainly, if a deal is sealed without attending a fair -a more economical, time efficient one.

Finally, while it may be true that fairs are not designed to be a competition, anyone who has experienced the atmosphere will tell you it feels extremely competitive so much so that last year saw the advent of "screeners" school administrative staff standing at the end of long interview sign-up lines dissuading or encouraging potential candidates based on various criteria. In short, some made the cut, others did not. What's more, in the case of Search Associates fairs candidates must first apply and receive "invitations"to attend. It is a competitive process.

If you are involved in the job fair process in the future I hope you will consider the perspectives here as it may aid you in understanding what all the parties involved may be experiencing. This may help you "win" whatever goal it is that you have in mind for yourself, school or business clients.
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

I'll say up front that I haven't taught overseas yet and am going to my first fair at Cambridge in February. I think, whereas you make good points about the treatment that we are not the ones in control. The schools are the ones with the power here as they are paying a lot more money and they have the jobs we want. Paying attention to these boards I've learned a lot of the facts you mention here. The takeaway that I've gained is that I'll be at the fair a day early and ready to interview. I'll also pursue Skype interviews before the fair. Best case scenario is I'll have my job locked up before the fair ever starts and I can have a mini-vacation in Boston. Realistically, if you're wanting to compete for the better jobs, this is the route you have to take. The better schools want to meet you face to face and as PsyGuy mentioned, it's much cheaper to meet everybody in one place than to fly all over for various interviews. There is always the alternative of shooting a little lower for schools that don't go to these fairs and are happy to interview by Skype. For me personally, the money going to a fair seems like a reasonable investment in trying to get to a better school. You also mentioned things like the screeners moving people on from lines they're not qualified for. To me, that's a sign that the schools are listening and don't want to waste people's time. I sure don't want to wait through a long line if I'm not going to be considered for a position. I would also say that the schools that are hiring before the fair even begins means that they knew what they wanted and didn't need to wait until the fair. They probably weren't going to be interested in me anyway, so I'd rather focus on the jobs that are actually possibilities. I see more than one way to look at this situation and I'm fine with removing the mirages so I can take in the real possibilities.
micki0624

Getting schools to Skype before hand

Post by micki0624 »

After reading all about fairs in this post and others, my questions is, what is the best way to get schools to want to do a Skype interview? Also, what is the best way to get schools to want to meet up with you the day before the fair?
antitravolta

Re: Getting schools to Skype before hand

Post by antitravolta »

[quote="micki0624"]After reading all about fairs in this post and others, my questions is, what is the best way to get schools to want to do a Skype interview? Also, what is the best way to get schools to want to meet up with you the day before the fair?[/quote]

Again, this is my first time at the rodeo, but I think you just put in your cover letter that you're available before the fair for Skype and in-person interviews. If you're corresponding with the school ahead of time, you can just let them know if you'll be there early.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@micki0624

Usually if a school is interested in you they will just request a Skype interview, and ask what your availability is. Its very common and is the actual standard for IT recruiting. If the date is close to a fair that your attending, they may instead invite you to visit their table at signup, this is called getting an "invitation". People disagree on this forum, and every year Search/ISS come up with a new policy, but mine is that if you get an "invite" you skip waiting inline and just approach the recruiter from the side and quickly signup for an interview slot. Its becoming less of an issue, as recruiters are now booking interviews slots in advance of the fair through email.
Usually right before a fair that your attending you will get email invites to see the recruiter during signup. You can reply back that you will be arriving at the fair the day before and you would be available to meet that evening if they are available, or they will just suggest meeting that evening. Many recruiters if your their top choice will just ask directly in an email if your available the day or night before the fair for a drink, dinner or to talk.

@truthSAYER

Recruitment fairs are very competitive, I dont know why you would think i was indicating otherwise?

My motivation for responding was because your narrative while true from your perspective is very misinformed and inaccurate. The reason is that as a candidate educator (im going to just use candidate) you have the POV that your the customer or client... Your not, the school is the customer, your the commodity.
I know your a human being, and a professional educator, and you paid your money, but there is a reason the "cattle call" - is very appropriate, its because your cattle. I know that sounds offensive to you, but the sooner you adjust your paradigm, and realize that those feeling you have are all issues of pride, vanity and ego, the sooner the reality of that will become clearer to you. If it helps to think of your self like "metals" as a commodity, thats fine too. Some candidates are gold and platinum, and some are copper, both 'sell' and have value, but you are not the broker, the buyer, the investor, the client, or the customer, your the merchandise, and its an economic issue.
They money you "pay" isnt really revenue to an agency, its a gate keeping tool to self select those candidates that are really serious and motivated to an international teaching job search. Its too keep everyone who has a half hour to kill from bloating the candidate datatbase on a whim or a lark.
The agencies make their money on the placement fees they invoice schools and at between $1.5K and $2.5K with multiple placements from a single schools thats how the associates make their money. You spend about $200 in a membership fee every 2 years (assuming a standard 2 year contract, and you move every 2 years), thats a $100 a year, thats nothing compared to the $10K or so a YEAR that a school pays, and most senior associates make make 6 figures a year, they arent making that off of you. This is why schools only get kicked out or droped as clients when their actions make the other schools look bad by association. It actually doesnt have much to do with you being "wronged" by a school. Search has a rule that schools need to give candidates 24 hours to decide, but nothing happens if they dont. For schools these rules are "requests", its the same issue with the night before recruiting sessions, they are told they arent supposed to "to give all candidates a fair chance at vacancies", but nothing happens if they do.

Im sorry if you find this offensive or insulting, it is however no less true. Your just meat in this process, and while the "buyers" (schools) may fight over the best "cuts", your still just a commodity.

I realize their are costs associated with attending a fair but in your membership fees, and travel expenses. If you attend a recruiting event and get 5 interviews while there, compare that to the travel costs of visiting each of those schools independently. Thats where you realize the order of magnitude savings.
homeandaway

Re: Job Fairs

Post by homeandaway »

[quote="PsyGuy"] Schools want the best teachers signed as soon as possible, that's there goal. [/quote]

I wish that were true, but I have found on many occasions that a position is advertised, you attend an interview, receive feedback that the school is interested in you and to wait a couple of weeks. A couple of weeks becomes a month and then when you push them for an answer, they own up and say that they have put an ad in TES or some other job website and as they have spent plenty of money on the ad, they want to wait and see what they get. I have never got this. If the school have found what they are looking for, then what does it matter if they don't get their mileage out of the job ad? Unfortunately what I have found is that applicants and schools are very unethical at this fairs. People float around and are interviewed on the night before the fair when everyone is down in the lobby at what is supposed to be a welcoming evening. By the first morning, most of the genuine openings are gone. For many of the other openings, the position is kept on hold for a few more weeks while management considers who they get from TES...and when they go the next fair...and the next fair... and TES again. Just my 2c and I know I will get people saying, 'Not true! I got a job!' Well, I am not saying that no one will get a job but that in my experience and from having spoken to others when there, the people who get their position sorted by the end of the fair are in the minority.
homeandaway

Post by homeandaway »

[quote="micki0624"]After reading all about fairs in this post and others, my questions is, what is the best way to get schools to want to do a Skype interview? Also, what is the best way to get schools to want to meet up with you the day before the fair?[/quote]

You are not supposed to be getting schools to meet up with you the day before the fair. That is why jobs disappear before the fair even starts, which pisses everyone off!
homeandaway

Post by homeandaway »

[quote="antitravolta"][quote="micki0624"]After reading all about fairs in this post and others, my questions is, what is the best way to get schools to want to do a Skype interview? Also, what is the best way to get schools to want to meet up with you the day before the fair?[/quote]

Again, this is my first time at the rodeo, but I think you just put in your cover letter that you're available before the fair for Skype and in-person interviews. If you're corresponding with the school ahead of time, you can just let them know if you'll be there early.[/quote]

Most schools will do Skype interviews in my experience
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

In my experience, the school will find you if they want to meet you before the fair. I think that before the fair interviews are for the prime candidates, notes in the box are for serious considerations, and then there is still some space for those who can sell themselves during the sign-up process.

I think the early interviews are good because either you know the job is off the table or the school knows they're not getting their top candidate while the fair is going on and can move on to the next candidates.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@homeandaway

I don't want to sound cruel, so I'm sorry in advance, but in the scenario described, you weren't the best candidate and you weren't even someone they wanted. You were the schools safety/backup at best. You really just didn't have a recruiter who was honest with you. They either wanted to preserve whatever good will they could for a later time, or they just didn't want to hurt your feelings/be confrontational. Again, Im sorry.

I'm glad you commented though n what your not supposed to be doing, and pissing people off. A lot of rookie newbies make the mistake of being the "good guy or girl". The other candidates for all their friendliness, politeness, etc, are not your friends. You need to be at the fair for YOU. Playing fair, has no business or place at the fair. You need to really approach the event as if its a free for all, and as long as its not going to cost someone money, anything goes. I sense that what your upset about, is that you essentially were penalized for following the rules.
You need to not care about pissing people off, or upsetting some group of un-named "others". The objective is to go home with the best offer you can, and anyway you accomplish that that meets the recruiters needs and makes them happy is what you do.
homeandaway

Re: Comment

Post by homeandaway »

[quote="PsyGuy"]@homeandaway

I don't want to sound cruel, so I'm sorry in advance, but in the scenario described, you weren't the best candidate and you weren't even someone they wanted. You were the schools safety/backup at best. You really just didn't have a recruiter who was honest with you. They either wanted to preserve whatever good will they could for a later time, or they just didn't want to hurt your feelings/be confrontational. Again, Im sorry.

[/quote]
No, I don't subscribe to that in this instance. I have attended quite a few job fairs in my time and even when the school does want to spare your feelings, generally they just fail to get in touch or return your emails. However, when there are jobs on offer and then get rubbed out within a few minutes of the fair beginning or are contacted after the fair, strung along and then told the school would continue advertising the position, that is little different to not being the ideal candidate.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

There are all different types of recruiters, some will just ignore you or forget about you, others really will string you along.
homeandaway

Re: Sorry

Post by homeandaway »

[quote="PsyGuy"]There are all different types of recruiters, some will just ignore you or forget about you, others really will string you along.[/quote]

Yes, and then are those who have no real intention of handing out jobs at the fair and want to hedge their bets. The point I am making is that rather than the job fair being an actual opportunity where available jobs are handed out to applicants over those few days, people are only considered casually, with the schools keeping a TES ad up their sleeve. It is downright wrong. I don't know what agenda you are on that you feel that you need to defend the structure of the fairs. Many recruiters use a fair to simply scan the talent, with no intention of hiring anyone for weeks, even months.