Retirement

jbiersteker

Retirement

Post by jbiersteker »

Thank you all for your responses on my previous questions!!

I have a new one:

Given that teachers in countries such as Canada and Australia have the good fortune of receiving good salaries and retirement benefits, do people feel that they can save adequately on an international school package to justify leaving their home countries?

Thanks!!
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

There are so many factors that have an impact that I would have to answer, yes but...

As a Canadian who came overseas in mid career I think I probably made the poorest choice. As it stands I have an underfunded pension at home but by the time I retire I won't have had the opportunity to save as much as I would have liked because I won't have been overseas long enough.

Having said that, I wouldn't change my decision to come overseas. There are way too many other advantages.
PsyGuy

Ditto

Post by PsyGuy »

Im not canadian but know many of them as teachers the feeling is that they are underfunded and cant afford to go back to Canada. they need to stick it out in europe to get a pension, or they are in asia and neglected or mismanaged individual retirements. Many of them dont have nearly enough contributions to collect from the Canadian pension system.
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

Hi Overhere,

Just a couple of questions:
1. Do you have a teacher's pension back home, and if you do are you still contributing to it overseas?
2 You mentioned that "There are way too many other advantages", what do you see as the advantages, seeing as your pension might be short for an eventual return to Canada (assuming that you are returning)

Thanks!!
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I am vested in a provincial teachers pension, just not at 25-30 years-thats what I meant by being underfunded. I am not making contributions now but if you take a leave and return to your position then there is an option to buy back the pension time you were out of the country for. Its expensive because you have to pay both your share as well as the employers share but many see it as being worth the cost.

In Canada I was always living paycheque to paycheque, which considering how boring my lifestyle is was frustrating. I am currently employed in a school where I am well compensated and I am putting money away for my retirement. The other advantages include a well funded program, the opportunities for travel, well behaved students and the opportunity to do something not a lot of other people in my neighborhood get to do.

Sometimes I think there is a perception that all our financial worries will disappear if we end up overseas. It requires the same amount of planning, willpower and savings as it does at home, perhaps even more because those automatic pension plan contributions aren't coming out of your monthly paycheque anymore.

Good luck in your search.