Was planning to do AASSA & ISS fair in nov but can't.

PsychBean

Was planning to do AASSA & ISS fair in nov but can't.

Post by PsychBean »

Ok, so I was intending to go to the Atlanta fairs, but I accepted a job in the middle east a 1 year contract and can't go to fair because of work. So now I am thinking about the Bangkok fair in dec. I will have 3.5 years experience at the end of this year. I will be in this position for a year contract and would love south America or Asia.

I would only be able to attend ISS fair the first 2 days then would have to get back to work. Would this be a workable option or should I just keep plugging away online for jobs?

Psy person please no reply from you is neded!
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Keep plugging away online. Go to the Bangkok fair if you're still searching for a job. You have to take advantage of all resources.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="heyteach"]Keep plugging away online. Go to the Bangkok fair if you're still searching for a job. You have to take advantage of all resources.[/quote]

Ok thank you I will continue online hopefully that will work out fine.
PsyGuy

Advice

Post by PsyGuy »

if you got "steered" into the Atlanta fair by your associate, I doubt very much you would be competitive for the BKK fair (Which is in January). Nothing really happens on the last day. The first day is the prime candidates, and then the interviews progress down the pile, as long as they have vacancies. Your really not going to be very competitive or get a prime interview slot, and I would hate to see you spend the money and time and very likely leave with nothing.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

If I read the scenario correctly, there probably is no associate because neither of the Atlanta fairs were Search. So, there was probably no steering involved in that decision. But the ISS Bangkok fair is pretty early in the season and right before Search Bangkok so some of the schools might be holding out.

I think staying for a fair for 2 days would be okay if that's all you can do. In my experience, the most important day is the sign-up day. You start interviewing that day. The next day is also good for 1st and 2nd interviews. By the 3rd day, the crowds have dwindled and there aren't as many interviews happening. The more that a school is interested in you, the earlier they ask for an interview.
PsyGuy

Clarification

Post by PsyGuy »

ISS doesn't have associates the way Searah does, but they do advice candidates. I can say what steering or advice ISS gave the reader if any.

Schools like to save their early slots for prefered candidates. They would prefer to interview their top choices early, so that if they can close a position early they don't have to continue interviewing for the position. The issue for the reader is that they just aren't very competitive, and unless they have schools in advance of the fair inviting them to interview, it's very likely that with onl 2 days with such a competitive fair, it's ver likel to e disappointing.