IB Physics Teacher with non-teaching spouse and two children

spruxy

IB Physics Teacher with non-teaching spouse and two children

Post by spruxy »

I am a Canadian IB Physics teacher with 5 years of international school experience. I am thinking of going to a job fair this year but am not sure how I would fair with a non-teaching spouse and two children. I hear stories of how single teachers with dependants wont even be looked at at a job fair, but am wondering what my prospects are being that I am a Physics teacher which I understand is in higher demand.
My wife is currently in the process of getting certified as a teacher, would it be wiser for us to stay put until we are a teaching couple?
I appreciate any feedback that anyone has to offer, thanks.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I'd say, go for it. You just never know what will open up for you. If a school wants you badly enough (and I think you would be in demand), they will bend over backward to accommodate you.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

It makes it more difficult but not impossible by any means. I am a single teacher with dependents and had many interviews at my last job fair. It will be clear which schools will not hire you with a family. I'm in a very good school and there are several people that were hired with families-where they did not offer a job to the other spouse or partner was not a teacher.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I disagree with the previous posters. If you plan on a job search sooner rather then later (meaning wife will be certified soon, like this year) then go to a fair. Your wife doesnt have to be certified and she can still attend interviews with you (the Search fee is $75 for her, but you can probably avoid paying it). It will just be very frustrating likely if it you, a trailing spouse, and 2 kids. Your going to hear "were waiting" a lot coming from recruiters, meaning they are waiting for a cheaper candidate.

If shes not going to be certified this year, and you cant market yourselves as a teaching couple, Id save the money and skip the fairs. You can still do a very aggressive online job search, and many schools interview over Skype now. Lots of teachers get offers and positions without going to fairs.
spruxy

Thanks

Post by spruxy »

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply with feedback. I am required to give notice of intent to return to my current job very early this year so I don't think an online job search will be feasible, it sounds like it might be worth waiting for my wife to become certified (1.5 years away).
PsyGuy

FYI

Post by PsyGuy »

FYI: Your search memberships good for three years and considering the cost of applying and a Skype interview (nearly zero), it doesn't hurt to start now. At the very least you will have some interviews and an early chance to network, and make an impression on recruiters. You may even get lucky and get an offer from a school you want to teach at. If nothing happens your out a little time, is all really.
westcoaster

Post by westcoaster »

Spruxy- where is your wife getting her certification? I am looking for an online way for my husband (Canadian) to get certified as a teacher. I have had a look at the College of New Jersey Global Education certification program and international students cannot get New Jersey state certification. Any help with this would be great!