Drama teacher wonders if a one-year contract is possible

Drama teacher

Drama teacher wonders if a one-year contract is possible

Post by Drama teacher »

I'm a drama teacher with a long and stellar K12 theater resume and loads of productions, classroom experience, and performing arts camps under my belt. I am looking to work overseas, but my school will only give me a one-year sabbatical.

Two questions: how likely is the possibility of finding a one-year contract? Surely some drama teacher somewhere must turn up needing a leave for whatever reason?

And if such a job seems possible, what is your suggestion for the best approach? Search and ISS will not accept me, of course, but Carney Sandoe says most of their schools actually begin with a one-year contract, and many list one year interim positions as well. I am in the process of posting my online CV and approaching schools directly.

I would appreciate any suggestions or insights you can provide.
sid

Post by sid »

The better schools aren't usually interested in one-year contracts. From their point of view, it is very disruptive to have people coming and going so much. By the time the new person gets in, gets oriented and trained, figures out all the systems, builds on (or builds from scratch) the curricular program... just when things are settling, that person is on the move again. A one-year person doesn't really contribute much to the long-term development of the school. He or she is just a finger in the dyke. And very expensive to boot, by the time schools pay recruiting fees, relocation, shipping, training...
And most international schools (there are exceptions) don't really do the 'leave' thing. People are employed, they do their stint, they leave. There is rarely a mechanism for taking a year off and having a guaranteed job.
I wouldn't recommend a single year from your perspective either. First years are really really hard. So much to learn, to do. A flat to sort and turn into a home. A car to sort. A new city to navigate, doctors to find, friends to make. Figuring out everything... You spend much of the first year just surviving. Things get much better towards the spring, but if you're leaving, you just spend those last months getting ready to move again.
If you're set on this, you can find one year contracts. But be careful. I wouldn't want to work at many of the schools that offer them.
Another alternative would be to contact a long-term sub company (try googling international teacher subs or something like that). You might be able to get a post or a series of posts covering maternity leaves and major illnesses. But it wouldn't be a full year and it wouldn't be 12 months of pay checks, just what you actually work. You'd still need to maintain a residence back home, for when you weren't working. So not really a financial bonanza.
Good luck.
Drama teacher

Post by Drama teacher »

From talking to people who have worked in the international schools, I sort of already suspected as much. But I am still determined and not really looking for a financial bonus; that's not the goal. But I will take your advice and look into the long-term sub outfits. I will also do extra thorough research on any one-year contracts which might pop up. I realize there are plenty of not-so-good schools out there. Thanks for your insights.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

Earlier this week, I did a brief check of Search schools that had a 1 year contract and there were more than I thought. I also have a friend that has taught at a decent 1 year contract school so don't give up hope. I would think that you could target those schools for a job but leave the sabbatical part out of the conversation. I imagine that even though the contract would be for 1 year, they would prefer people who could and would renew but you wouldn't be doing anything unethical by leaving at the end of the contract.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I pretty much concur with sids response. The good schools just arent going to be interested in a one year contract without an option to renew. Your basically limited then to cover positions, which while they pop up, something like drama, at a good school there might be one vacancy a year. The school has to look for your replacement pretty much as soon as your hired.

MY advice would be to just approach recruitment (agencies and schools) as if you were looking for a regular 2 year, long term position. You will likely have your choice of some very good schools with lucrative packages, who knows you might like it so much you do decide to stay. In the event that you do leave after the year, while you would be breaking contract, you can just pay Search the placement fee if you want (such as you plan on using them again in the future), the good schools wont really have a problem replacing you (though it will be expensive for them), teachers leave all the time, and really you have your home school to go back to anyway, so its not like you dont have a job.
Drama teacher

Post by Drama teacher »

DCGirl, you mention "that you could target those schools for a job but leave the sabbatical part out of the conversation." Any suggestions for exactly HOW to know which schools (Search, et al) post one-year contracts? As I said before, since I cannot commit to a two-year contract, neither Search nor ISS will take me as a client. I'm working on a list of all the schools which might be open to the possibility and taking it from there. Through contacts, I heard of a good Asian school whose drama teacher imploded (personal issues) and they need someone in January. That won't work for me, but it gives me hope that such a scenario might occur for next year.
PsyGuy

Clarification

Post by PsyGuy »

Have you actually asked Search if they would accept you as a candidate? I ask because I know a number of teachers that prefer 1 year contracts and they are repped with Search. There is even an option on the search database tool to limit your search to schools offering a 1 year contract. Other then that any school depending on circumstances could be in a position to offer a one year contract.
Drama teacher

Post by Drama teacher »

Yes, I did ask Search and they said they would not accept me as a candidate.
PsyGuy

Humm

Post by PsyGuy »

Well there is an option in the Search tool for 1 year contracts. You might want to re-approach a different Search associate in the near future, and say your looking for a regular 2 year contract, just so you can get access to the search database. I know they said they wouldnt accept you, but the reality is they will place you, and get paid, and Ive never heard of a recruiter refuse or decline their fee...