Please excuse the rookie

onelststnd

Please excuse the rookie

Post by onelststnd »

I'm new to all of this, so please bare with me. I am in my 5th year in California as a Supt/Principal. My wife has 2 credentials, including one in Special Education. We have 2 young children. Reading all these boards and the information is kind of overwhelming. In your opinion, are our chances good at being placed for next year? We are open to going most places.
Thanks.......
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

The short answer is yes, but you might find it difficult to land a Supt./Principal position having not been overseas before - at least at most of the bigger schools. What are you credentialed in and what is the additional credential your wife has besides SpEd?
onelststnd

Please excuse the rookie

Post by onelststnd »

My wife has a California Multi-Subject credential......I have a multi-subject as well......I have no problem working in administration besides being a superintendent
thanks
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

You need to tell us more about your resumes. what is your wifes other credential. How long has she been teaching? Do you two have masters degrees (I assume you do)? Just how young are your kids? How long have you been a Sup/Principal?

Without international experience and any IB/AP experience, typically you need to go down a step. Head of a tier 2 school with an american curriculum or principal of a tier 1 school is a reasonable objective/outcome.
Many boards will prohibit you from supervising/hiring your wife as a member of the faculty if you are HOS (she can be hired with you, but you cant hire her afterwords, it depends on the school).

You need to decide now though, recruiting for admin/leadership has already happened, and is underway.
onelststnd

Please excuse the rookie

Post by onelststnd »

I am starting my 5th year as a Supt/Principal. I have a Masters in Educational Leadership. I previously taught at the middle school level for 9 years.
My children are 6 and 3. My son is in 1st grade.
My wife's other credential is in elementary education. She has taught, previously, at grades 6 and kinder.

Thanks
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

So who will stay home with the youngest one? You are very marketable. As i said earlier without international experience and any IB/AP experience, typically you need to go down a step. Head of a tier 2 school with an american curriculum or principal of a tier 1 school is a reasonable objective/outcome.
Many boards will prohibit you from supervising/hiring your wife as a member of the faculty if you are HOS (she can be hired with you, but you cant hire her afterwords, it depends on the school).

You need to decide now though, recruiting for admin/leadership has already happened, and is underway.
onelststnd

Post by onelststnd »

We have a friend teaching in Kuala Lumpur and her husband is a non teaching spouse. They hired a nanny.

Thanks for the advice and input!