Covering Maternity Leave

BookshelfAmy

Covering Maternity Leave

Post by BookshelfAmy »

There seem to be a lot of jobs right now for maternity/paternity cover. We're looking for our first international teaching jobs. Is this a good way to get one's foot in the door with less competition? Or do you think the temporary nature of these jobs makes them too high risk? What are the chances of having the contract extended?

Also, would schools even consider sponsoring a work permit for a maternity cover?

(FYI, I'm speaking about Science and Elementary positions.)

Thank you, wonderful people who answer all our questions.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

My school sponsored the work permit for the teacher who covered my maternity leave. Any reputable school that plans to actually pay you isn't going to ask you to work illegally. And if they did, that's not a job I would even consider taking.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

Any reputable school will secure a work permit/visa for you while doing a temporary (medical/maternity/family cover). Any school that wont, isnt worth your time.

My experience has been that they arent a way "in". Most dont get picked up, or offered a full time contract (5%-10%), the exception being in primary (about 20%-25%). Its even harder if your a teaching couple, as one of you will likely be a trailing spouse. Its harder on your children as well. Financially you never get to really recoup your startup costs.
If your looking more for a working vacation, then i can recommend it. Cover teachers are somewhere between substitutes and regular teachers. Unlike a substitute you have to not just teach, but mark homework, and exams, etc. They usually have an easier course load, usually they will get lower secondary subjects (MYP) Youll be taking over the previous teachers courses, so you have less planing you need to do. A lot depends on when you start, end and how long the cover is. One of the bonuses, is that your typical visa work permit may be for 2 years so after your cover assignment you can stay and have a definite advantage in securing a position with a new school.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Just to clarify: I didn't mean working illegally. I meant, wouldn't a school prefer to hire someone locally or someone with a passport that allows them to work without a permit? It seems like an awful lot of work to secure a permit for someone who'll only be around for a few months.

Thanks for the responses, though. I'll save my energy for the regular positions.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Sure they would, aside from the visa issue, a local contract is a lot cheaper for a school, but if they have posted the position to a recruiting agency, or other international forum, they are casting a wide net. More then likely they have also posted the position to a local jobs board as well, but this time of year and the briefness of the contract, they want to have as many options as they can.