How to jump off the page!

CDNTEACH

How to jump off the page!

Post by CDNTEACH »

Hey all-

I am a long time reader of this forum and finally wanted to dip my toe in.

My husband and I are exploring going overseas again and something we struggled with, and a piece of advice I always see, is sending an intro letter to feel out a potential school. Can anyone shed light as to what types of things are in this letter, do you include a resume...and who do you direct to?

We cannot really afford to go to a fair, so we are trying all other things to get us on top of the pile -
PsyGuy

Confused

Post by PsyGuy »

Where did you read/hear about this intro letter? Do you mean cover letter?

I ask because admins and recruiters are busy enough screening applicants, they dont really have time or resources to just read introduction letters, as a part of cordial communication. If your qualified and applying for a posted vacancy or post, then yes they want to hear from you. If your just saying "hi", its very likely you wont get a response.

First, Its not that they are being rude, but most applications are screened by someone other then the recruiter or HOS. So its likely your correspondence will just be filtered out and discarded. Second, what do you really expect in a reply, a new pen pal? Sorry, but heads are busy people, if they do get your letter your, likely to get a brief and polite response thanking you for your time, and a comment to apply for a suitable position.

Now if your "introduction" letter comes with a resume attached, then its a less formal (casual?) application really.
CDNTEACH

Post by CDNTEACH »

It is not a cover letter.

I have read on blogs and seen on some school websites, that a letter prior to a posting to connect with a recruiter is helpful and puts your name in their mind.

Yes- I agree they are busy and won't always respond but I was getting the impression that to arrange meetings outside fairs, this was one approach. (as a way to access jobs prior to the recruiting season that are not always posted and access the hidden market)
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

I can't say I've ever heard of that. If you are going to send an intro letter, why not make it a cover letter and attach a resume.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

Yeah im sorry, but there not meeting you, there meeting a piece of paper about you.

Seriously, that almost sounds like something id write. There is a hidden job market, but you need to know people. By knowing people I mean have a drink with them, hang out, shake their hand, talk, facebook each other, send christmas and birthday cards, help them bury a body, give them a ride to the airport.

Sending a blind/cold email to someone saying "Hi" and basically trying to brag about yourself, while being subtle, isnt going to do it, sorry.