Stay or Go?

IAMBOG

Stay or Go?

Post by IAMBOG »

I'm in my second year of international teaching (and only did substitute work at home before coming our here). My wife worked the 2011-2012 school year, but is on maternity leave for this school year. So, by June next year I'll have two years full time teaching she'll have one. Our references should be pretty good.

We are likely to be offered positions in a country where our quality of life will be much better. The package is pretty much the same as where we are now, but travel options will be much improved, as would local opportunities.

We are debating whether we should stay where we are for the 2013-2014 school year, giving us three years and two years experience or whether to take this potential offer, leaving our school with two years and one year experience. We are wondering what the effect of my wife having only worked one year for a school will have on our employment prospects down the line.

Our thoughts are, we think leaving here with three and two years experience (staying an extra year) will look better on our resumes and allow us to go to Search Associates in London in 2014. The flipside is, we'd quite like to take these positions, so we can improve the overall quality of our lives sooner (we are a famiy of four).

Thoughts?
PsyGuy

Advice

Post by PsyGuy »

Go.

The new positions will also give you 2 more years experience each, and it sounds like it will be a better experience. Unless your moving up tiers, years are years.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

No, not moving up tiers, just moving to another school with the same curriculum, so the job's exactly the same.

I figure in order to move from here we need to either move to a better country or a better school. One of these has to improve. This would be a move up in country. The school we're at is fine and the one we'll probably be going to sounds just about the same.
PsyGuy

Advice 2

Post by PsyGuy »

Still Go.

Your moving to a better region, which is still an improvement in quality of life, and your not moving down a tier, so the conclusion is the same... Years are years.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

I'm a little shocked because I finally agree with Psyguy on something ;).

Sounds like a great chance to better your families life and at
little risk.