A different question

Open Communication

A different question

Post by Open Communication »

edited.
Last edited by Open Communication on Thu May 30, 2013 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

A wise administrator once said to me, when I started to make a pitch for an iffy project, "Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission."

I see no problem allowing carefully-screened friends to stay in your place when you're not there, and I would not even bring it up except to give a heads-up to your nearest neighbors.
JVerse

Post by JVerse »

Yeah. School paid or otherwise, it's pretty much your house while you are employed by the school. As long as you aren't trashing the place, it's not really any of their business what you do with it, unless they have a strict contract you signed about housing or something. I definitely wouldn't mention it.
Open Communication

edited.
Last edited by Open Communication on Thu May 30, 2013 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Issues

Post by PsyGuy »

While I personally would follow the advice of the previous posters, it would be grossly unfair too not explore the issue deeper. Does your school just provide you the allowance for housing or is it their housing (meaning their apartments, etc?). If its just an allowance that they pay you to live wherever you live, then none of it is the schools concern.
If its their housing, then it's different. Is their a policy, or handbook, or agreement either separately or in your contract that stipulates any conditions or rules? Is the housing on campus or just close to it? Does the building have security? The more yes's you have to those questions, the more I feel you need to discuss it with your schools admins.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Communication

edited.
Last edited by Open Communication on Thu May 30, 2013 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I can understand and respect that, if it was me that's what I'd do, but when it possible involves other people I'd rather ot take chances with their welfare. Say you swap apartments, and their on campus or close to it, and the school or someone calls the police about the stranger living in your apartment. I can see all kinds of potential bad things happening, and I'd hate to put someone I would consider a friend in that position, especially when they would have asked me if it was alright with administration, and I'd like to be able to say yes, knowing I mean it.