Realistic Possibilities

nkraai

Realistic Possibilities

Post by nkraai »

So my wife and I are headed towards our first international teaching assignment.

We have accepted an invite to Search Cambridge.

My wife is a school counselor, 6 years experience and her Masters, although the majority of her experience is at the elementary level and middle school levels. (1 year at an alternative high school)

I am a primary teacher with 6 years experience and my Masters, having taught grades 3-5. I've lived abroad in Eastern Europe, not teaching at that time, however.

We don't even know what type of school to try and aim for.

Any suggestions on level of school we should strive for?
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

Strive for the school that you believe will be the best fit for you. The school that is located in a place that you can see yourself living for a few years. The school that offers you the best package to give you the kind of life that you want. Don't worry about tier 1, 2, or 3. Worry about finding what you will be most happy in.
PsyGuy

Advice

Post by PsyGuy »

What's your family situation, kids?
Where do you want to be? What region?
What are your goals and expectations? Do you ave a certain lifestyle you want, or are you looking to save money?

So your wife is the front card, as IB experience, or lack of it doesn't really matter for a school counselor. It wold be a lot better if she had college advising experience. Your just kind of along for the ride. You don't have PYp, but your a average primary candidate.

So I would be looking for larger schools, as you need a school that has more then one counselor, as your wife isn't going to really make the top of a list with schools that only have one counselor who needs to e able to do high school and college advising.
I'd also look a an American school, or one that uses an American curriculum. Your not going to be attractive to PYP, and AP is irrelevant in primary.
Asia and the ME are easier, as they have a harder time filling positions, and Asia just has more volume.