One step backwards, how do you go two steps forward?

Mick Travis

One step backwards, how do you go two steps forward?

Post by Mick Travis »

Having started 'on the circuit' to gain IB experience, I went backwater in order to become HoD. In terms of professional development this has been a good thing but the school is a French lycee (with an IB section) and therefore way off the radar of recruiters.

I'd like to progress to an HoD position at a better international school than the one in which I started my career, but realistically what are my chances?

I have 5 years IB teaching experience, the past three years as HoD. But in your experience, do recruiters at reputable international schools take a chance on someone from an 'unknown' school for a leadership position?
Nomadic Teacher

Post by Nomadic Teacher »

Why dont you just go for a teaching job in a known international school? Then after a few more years you can move up internally?

Its good you have 5 yrs IB experience.

Good luck.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

If they have an IB section, then its really not off the radar at all.

Most ISs promote internally for their HODs. They want to know you have a relationship with the faculty, understand the schools curriculum, and are generally a good fit. Most schools that advertise an HOD position generally do so as a standard teaching position, with an opportunity for "the right candidate" to become the HOD. Its not typical to 'walk into' an HOD position. You have to go into it with the expectation that you will just be offered a position as a teacher.

HODs can have dramatically different jobs and responsibilities. Im sure you know that at some schools the HOD is just a title with some liaison duties. At other schools its practically an admin (junior admin) position. Most schools its somewhere in between. Some schools use the HOD as an inducement to get a really desirable teacher, even if its just a title.

What are your ambitions, because really you may be ready for a coordinator position? If you have a Masters with 5 years IB and 3 of those as HOD, id start looking for an admin position, if thats something youd be interested in.