Schools in Middle East/Africa?

FutureTeacher33

Schools in Middle East/Africa?

Post by FutureTeacher33 »

Does anyone here know of schools in the Middle East or Africa that would be a good option for a new graduate?

Many thank to you in advance.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Any of them, they are mostly the same and in general they aren't very picky. Your a newbie so any ot them that will hire you. IB schools would be better, as the idea is too do your 2 years, take the money and get out.
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

Check out some past posts for further information. I searched 'middle east top 10' to get:

http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... e+east+top

Then search for some of the schools mentioned specifically to get more info.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

My best advice for a new graduate that wants to work in the Middle East or Africa would be to attend the UNI fair. I think that some of the schools there might be more open to hiring someone right out of school. I don't have any specific names for you but I met a new grad that was hired in Kuwait.

My other suggestion would be to join Search and try to get a position as an intern.

There are many people who live and work in these regions and enjoy their time there not simply as a means to make money and get out. I am hoping that one of my top schools in Africa might consider me this year. It's definitely not been as easy getting in as I had hoped as quality international schools look for quality, seasoned educators.

If you're looking for a place that is friendly for new grads, you might also expand your search to China. There is something out there for everybody. Good luck.
cantona66

Re

Post by cantona66 »

c
Last edited by cantona66 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
cantona66

Africa

Post by cantona66 »

www.aisa.or.ke
is a good starting place if you would like to contact Heads of Schools directly before the jobs are advertised. As a general rule I would go with schools accredited by CIS that are IB authorized. Good luck.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Yeah well im not changing that opinion, or approach. Im pretty well informed on the region, and I imagine we will have to just disagree. Personally, you sound like an admin cheerleader.
First, with the exception of a few schools in south africa, Africa doesnt pay well at all. Average salaries are on the low side.
Lots of school offer great PD, or at least they call it great PD. Ive never heard a school claim that their PD is bad/horrible.
Second, your generalities are just that general. There are great teachers, characters and students everywhere. Every teacher believes they are making a difference no matter where they are. Those claims dont have any utility in determining value.
I dont choose my words carelessly, or recklessly, though this is an internet forum so i dont take the same level of care and diligence as i would in formal correspondence.
That said there arent really many excellent international school, there are a couple as every region has, but the bulk of them, are far from great.
There are three types of teachers that go to Africa 10 Those that REALLY want to go to Africa. 2) Those that want to go because they think it will be like going on a Safari, or like something in national geographic. 3) Those that have no other options.

Lastly, while weve covered this on this forum before, CIS "accreditation" isnt accreditation.
vitaminz

Post by vitaminz »

There are a lot of schools in the Middle East that will hire new teachers that are fresh out of university with little to no experience. You might not get the offer until late in the recruiting season after everything else has been filled but it will come. Almost every school in Kuwait does this at some point.