Getting a job if you've broken a contract?

CGriswald309BC

Getting a job if you've broken a contract?

Post by CGriswald309BC »

I know it is never a good thing to break a contract - and in 10 years of teaching I haven't done it - but I will have to break my contract if I want to teach during the 2013-2014 school year.

Why you ask?

Well, I signed a contract to teach in ESL in Thailand and their school year runs from October to October.

Why did I sign the contract?

That's a damn good question. I'm not sure why. I thought I could manage it but I really don't know if I can. The job is easy, but I really, really would like to get back into a regular classroom.

So, do you think anyone would hire me (and my gf as she is in the same position)?

As always, many thanks in advance for any info/advice/snarky remarks!
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Well what kind of school is it? Do you plan on listing the school as a reference or on your resume? Will they let you out of the contract?

1) Talk to your school about being released from your contract early. Were talking a month of over lap maybe two between contracts. They may let you out early. Otherwise it depends on the head/recruiter.

2) If its ESL and not at a real IS, and you havent been there long, and your current head would give you a negative reference, or sabotage you, then Id consider just leaving it off your resume. In which case it doesnt matter what they would say.

3) If its an agency repped school or one of the known ISs they may report you as a contract breaker to the agency. Despite the fear-mongering of some of the admins on this forum, there isnt a blacklist.

Many recruiters would understand the timing (some wont), and it depends on the school. I wouldnt say youd have any real problems, if would secure the NEW position before leaving the old position. Youd be doing the job search and recruiting well before you broke contract.
CGriswald309BC

Post by CGriswald309BC »

It is a Thai public school. We plan to use them as a reference as long as we part on mutual terms. At this point we don't know...

1) Yes. We definitely plan on speaking to the school and trying to get released early.

2) It is most definitely not an IS. Not even close. And I was thinking the same thing as to omitting it from my resume.

3) See above.

Well, we would like to go to the job fair in Bangkok come March. Having said that, even if we don't get an invite from Search we would most likely leave our current positions. We really don't want to get stuck between school years. It was poor planning on our part, but it is what it is.

Anywho, thanks for your input. Tis much appreciated.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Sounds like its really a non issue, either they release you early, and give you a good reference (which won't mean much to anyone) or you just leave it off your resume.