American School of Dubai

nkraai

American School of Dubai

Post by nkraai »

Curious about this school as well. It seems like I could save a large chunk of money. Is that possible? 40k salary, 10k cost of goods, 10k settling in allowance, housing and utilities paid. No income tax. Am I missing something? Even with how expensive Dubai is, wouldn't most people be able to save at least 1/2 their salary.

What is the housing like? What is the reputation of the school? Any experiences from those out there?
PsyGuy

Dubai

Post by PsyGuy »

Savings in Dubai is going to depend on your lifestyle, and you can easily spend a LOT of money in Dubai, very quickly. If you stay home a lot, and just watch DVDs and eat at food stalls or at home, you could save half your salary (understand that those 10K allowances though are only one time allowances, you wont get them your second year). if you want to have any type of night life, or social life, or really eating out, or shopping, you could burn though that money very fast. Understand, there isnt a lot to do in Dubai thats cheap.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
antitravolta

Re: Such as

Post by antitravolta »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Its a very good school, definitely tier one, probably the elite school in the region. Savings however is going to depend on your lifestyle, and you can easily spend a LOT of money in Dubai, very quickly. If you stay home a lot, and just watch DVDs and eat at food stalls or at home, you could save half your salary (understand that those 10K allowances though are only one time allowances, you wont get them your second year). if you want to have any type of night life, or social life, or really eating out, or shopping, you could burn though that money very fast. Understand, there isnt a lot to do in Dubai thats cheap.[/quote]

Regarding the 10k allowances, you're half right. The moving is one time, but the cost of goods and services is continued. That is paid in dirhams and the salary is paid in US dollars.
PsyGuy

Thanks

Post by PsyGuy »

Thanks for the correction,and my apologies. I was confused on what was meant by "10K cost of goods" and assumed it was a shipping allowance. So really its not a 40K salary its a 50K salary, which sounds better to me, as 40K is actually kind of low for the region.