American School of Warsaw

nkraai

American School of Warsaw

Post by nkraai »

Have a possible in at this school for 2013-2014. (the new elementary principal was the supervisor for my principal here in the states)

Can anyone share about experiences, reputation of the school, salary and benefits, cost of living in Warsaw, travel opportunities, etc.?
the_grue

Post by the_grue »

Hello!

The school usually posts openings in November, please check the website. Warsaw is a great city to live in, and the school is a great place. Craig is doing great!

I work there, so I'm biased. Salary / savings is very good, the school is the best in Warsaw (and not just because we say we are the best, we have a waiting list a mile long to get into the school).

Travel? In Poland? How does Vienna in 45 minutes sound? :-)

I love it here, and wouldn't ever want to leave!
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

I woudnt say Vienna is really a selling point, but the s hook really is great, it's and elite school in the region, it's also in a very small group. There just isn't really a lot of competition (part of why they have such a long waiting list). Still it's a great school, and if you got an offer you should take it.
nkraai

Post by nkraai »

[quote="the_grue"]Hello!

The school usually posts openings in November, please check the website. Warsaw is a great city to live in, and the school is a great place. Craig is doing great!

I work there, so I'm biased. Salary / savings is very good, the school is the best in Warsaw (and not just because we say we are the best, we have a waiting list a mile long to get into the school).

Travel? In Poland? How does Vienna in 45 minutes sound? :-)

I love it here, and wouldn't ever want to leave![/quote]

Thanks for the response! I've heard very positive things about the school from the different reviews. I really like Craig as well. Do you need a car? Is Warsaw a good place for a family? Is there a housing allowance or is housing provided? How is the tech at the school, especially at the elementary level? I've got 6 years here in CO, my MA, and have lived in eastern Europe before. (Budapest) Considering heading abroad again.
Mike

Post by Mike »

We had 2 cars! but other people took the bus out to the school.
We loved it there!! Saved about 45-50K per year. GREAT school for little kids.... The HS kids did hit the clubs... a lot!

Dark winters... Lots of beer tents and bike rides in the Spring.

GREAT SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Curitiba

Warsaw

Post by Curitiba »

On the topic of dark winters...are the skies during the day very gray? I lived in Budapest for three years. Loved everything except the gray skies. Thanks for any weather information ;)
Glerky

Post by Glerky »

If you didn't like Budapest because of grey days then you really won't like Warsaw. It gets dark earlier and the weather is as wet or wetter and has a much colder winter.
Curitiba

Winter in Warsaw

Post by Curitiba »

Thanks for that information. So difficult to find a place that fits all the criteria.
lws278

Post by lws278 »

Does the school mostly employ teachers for longer terms or is it common for younger teachers to tun over fairly regularly (every few years)? Also what kind of duties do teachers have outside of the classroom? I am wondering because I am an English teacher in Warsaw who is currently looking to mover into a role in k-12 education, preferably in history. Any other information about the school would be helpful.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I lived just outside of Warsaw about ten years ago. Change was afoot!
Poland has a lot of great places to see, especially in the south. Tatry mountains for skiing and hiking, and Krakow is a true gem. It survived the destruction which decimated all of Poland during WWII. everything in Warsaw, even the old looking stuff, is only fifty years old. Not so in Krakow.

It is definitely a cold, dark country for much of the year, but they really know how to celebrate the spring and summer, much like other cold places. Poish food is simple, lots of potatoes, cabbage, and kotlets, but Warsaw is big and other offerings are available.

The women are beautiful. Period.

Sounds like the school is great too. I loved my time there.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Very cold and dark most of the year. Your pretty much in school/work during day light hours. The night life is amazing, and the woman are mostly very beautiful, average guys can score 9s and 10s fairly easily.

I hate the food by the way its all heavy and dens and rather plain or over peppered.