problems with housing

fke

problems with housing

Post by fke »

Hey! I have taught at two international schools with good housing (one it was small but new...and my second year I took the housing allowance). I am now at a new school with horrendous housing--run down, holes in the walls, dilapidated building, a permanently open downstairs door, and a bathroom that must be seen to be believed. It is so bad that I don't know if I can adjust. I am going to wait a week or so before speaking to the school, but I doubt they will move me. Has anyone had an otherwise decent school (salary, curriculum) pull this on them? What did you do if you couldn't move? Thanks in advance for any reply.
figure8

Post by figure8 »

Go speak to HR right away. Waiting a week will just give the impression you are okay with this sort of housing. The sooner you get on it the better as they might be trying their luck with you and thinking they can get away with it. I've had colleagues in the past with similar concerns as you (although not quite as bad!) and waiting out of fear of being inpolite or pushu usually just delayed things further. Not only does your housing sound sub-standard, there is also a clear safety issue as well.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Why wold you wait? No ones going to wake up one day and fix it out of the goodness of their heart. They knew the condition when they put you in there. I agree with figure8, they are pushing to see what you will accept, and how much they can push you. It will set a precedent for the future, that you will just take whatever they give you. You need to push back.
fke

Post by fke »

Thanks everyone. I will let you know how it goes.